Pain in the brass

hypersonic

Morning all

I think most of us are in the same boat these days with getting components these days, some of us more than others depending on what calibers we are loading for. I am a 220 swift guy when it comes to varmints so brass has always been somewhat difficult to get even when things are good. I was looking around for a long while until I found some. I ended up with 100 Rem and 100 Winchester which is enough to keep me going this year for the amount of varmint shooting I do. I always used Winchester over the years and was pretty happy with what I got for the dollars and the amount of prep work that I had to do. My bag of 100 Rem was actually 103 pcs all of them in perfect condition. Did all my prep work and seated the primers and all the primer pockets were good and used the same amount of force on my hand primer to seat.

My Winchester brass had 96 pcs in the bag of 100, 4 were instant culls 2 with flash holes off center and two that had deformation one in the neck and one in the shoulder(attaching picture). Not too big of a deal in my mind when you need brass loosing out on a couple is not the end off the world. Did my usual prep work and of the 92 pieces 43 had primer pockets that allowed the primers to seat way too easy. Well with the loads I shoot I am going to have to scrap these 43 as well to prevent issues.

Just wondering if I should even bother contacting Winchester and sending them the pictures and telling them about this lot of brass?

This picture is taken with my phone so it is not perfect but should give you guys and Idea of what I am dealing with.

Attachments

• IMG_20150331_063055.jpg
    IMG_20150331_063055.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 57
Hype, this is why I don't use Win brass. Same issues, folds, dings, primer pockets, even globs of brass on the mouth. When I load ammo for a friend, I ask they avoid Win brass. With the exception of softness most other brands are fine with Lapua my favorite. Some here will not agree and use Win only. Usually the dealer will make it right with the bad batch you have, if not, try the manufacturer. Good luck

I hear you on this one big D. I have sworn off win brass for everything else I shoot and have gone to Nosler and I am waiting for some Laupa . If I could have gotten more Rem I would have but such was not the case this time. The big box store I got this brass from will not take back any reloading supplies. They basically tell you to go pound sand if you have any complaints and tell you to contact the MFG. I will contact Winchester and see what they have to say but I won't be holding my breath. If I can find some more Rem I will stock up it is a bit soft and the primer pockets don't hold up the greatest with the loads I shoot so I might have to back off a bit to keep the pocket life up to snuff. I had 50 pcs of Norma Swift brass quite a few years ago and it was the best of the best really tough stuff. If I ever find it again I will buy every single piece I can get my hands on.

Don't even get me started on worsechester brass, major culls and the company does nothing! I have stopped buying any Winchester products because of this. They should be ashamed.

Morning, question? Why don't u buy once fired WW brass. The hulls have been fired, for resale no culls, fl resize, check length and go for it. I buy once fired hulls all the time. just a idea. T U M

Morning, question? Why don't u buy once fired WW brass. The hulls have been fired, for resale no culls, fl resize, check length and go for it. I buy once fired hulls all the time. just a idea. T U M

Up here in Canada the swift is pretty uncommon now days. I have never looked for once fired brass and stay away from once fired not saying that it is bad just personal preference. I run hot loads in my swift and use new. The 22-250 is far more popular up here and brass can be had pretty easy. I like the Swift better even with its semi rim issues more performance and just as accurate. Once I do find some good brass I will buy a load and not have to worry about it for a couple of barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.