Page to page time lag

Brown Dog

Len,

Afraid to say I have a piece of negative feedback:

I'm on 2mb broadband, despite this I have a small time lag of 5 to 7 seconds every time I change page whilst the adverts build (the delay appears to be linked to the build up of the outdoor TV banner....every single page change....every single page change....every single page change....)

Fully appreciate the requirement for adverts, but the repetitive 5 -7 second time lag is really starting to make my toes curl!

Other than that, things are great :)

Brown Dog, sorry to hear of your frustration. Let's figure it out.

Please time the page load to total completion. Next, is the forum text displaying in a usable fashion before the ads complete loading? The ads are loading last on my browser and I can read text or use my page down function while the ads load.

Next, what browser are you using? Try a different one. Read this thread:

Slow Firefox

Please time the page load to total completion.

Averaging just over 4 seconds today. Yesterday it varied between 5 and 7 seconds.

I know that sounds a little nit-picky, but 4 seconds actually feels like quite a long time.....reminds me of when I was on an exchange tour with the Cdn Army; we had a Brigade Commander who stuttered....on regimental parades all 600 men would tangibly lean forward as they waited for his next struggled utterance!

Next, is the forum text displaying in a usable fashion before the ads complete loading? The ads are loading last on my browser and I can read text or use my page down function while the ads load.

Ads load first, text does not become visible until the ads are up and doing their thing.

Next, what browser are you using?

Internet Explorer

Hope that's of some help!

All the best

Matt

Last edited:
Dick,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have to say, I don't really fancy changing to a new software when, in all other respects (ie all sites except long range hunting), it continues to be entirely satisfactory...it used to be entirely satisfactory on long range hunting too!

Tonight it took 7 seconds from clicking on my favourites list to being able to see the forum list...and another 7 seconds from clicking on this thread until it became readable.

Excruciating!

I'm down to one or 2 visits per week ...whereas I used to check daily.

My 'browsing' through topics is also drastically reduced ...it's just become too teeth grindingly slow. :(

Just so we have a reference point, please time the page load for the following link:

Oshkosh Weather

Do it several times, using the REFRESH button on your browser.

Len, Dick,

Finally loaded firefox (hadn't really wanted to add new software, but in the end I gave in!)

Positive:

The LRH page to page time lag is reduced to 2-3 seconds & text appears first.

Negative:

Firefox is, for me, a 'bespoke' browser with no purpose other than to view LRH -I'm happy with IE in all other respects, so a degree of embuggerance remains -albeit preferable to the massive IE LRH page to page time lag!

Glad to hear of the improvement. I am not the only one I know of who considers it to be normal to use 2 browsers for certain things.

Brown Dog:

I am glad that I was lucky enough to get to retire early. I used to just hate it when I had to use 4-7 seconds of my entire lifetime doing something or waiting on something. Now............I just use those seconds to take a sip of coffee, tea or maybe even something on ice,;) and I even have a couple of seconds to spare.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Take this for what it is and that's just that it seems like 4 seconds or so is insignificant compared to the time spent reading a thread. Hell, most of us spend more time than that just thinking about different things in any given thread. I am sure that Len is doing everything he can to use a mix of site features and making it cost effective in giving us this FREE site to use.:)

I remember when I first used Firefox, I also kept IE. It didn't take me long to realize it was a waste of time and I have used Firefox exclusively for several years now. There are add-ons (extensions) you can install with Firefox that allow you to see sites in an "IE Tab" in case you have to visit a site that is programmed in a way that forces you to use IE. This eliminates the need for two browsers, at least for me and countless thousands of others it does.

Is there any reason that you can not use Firefox exclusively instead of IE??? Just curious.:confused: I find it humorous that IE has come out with features that mimic features found in Firefox for a loooong time. Tabs for instance.

With Firefox you can open a forum and when you want to view a certain thread you can view it in a new tab. Then, when you are done reading the thread, you close that tab and the original tab with the forum is waiting there. No time lag and nothing to completely open and display.

I would just hope that for want of 4 seconds that this would not cause you to not use LRH anymore. That would be a waste for you as well as us that enjoy your posts and pics.

In the end, the choice of browser/s and sites visited is up to you. Good luck and I hope you find enough speed to make your browsing here enjoyable.:)

if you think that 4 seconds

is bad consider this .....8 year old equipment and 26 k dialup = 22 sec + page to page times
Lazzeroni.gif

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.