Packing for a hunting trip as an elderly

I'm right there with you brother! Only 54 with a bad back and shoulders. It sounds like we're younger than most on this thread and actually in worse condition than some. lol
I know we talked about this in another thread but like you , 338 Dude, me and a lot others, it usually is how you treated your body while you were young. I've had knee problems since high school. 4 years of football, 15 years of Motocross, multiple accidents, etc. takes a toll on you that you'll pay for later in life. I've always wondered about how many times I've taken hits to the head from boxing, football, motorcycle wrecks,, rocks, baseball bats, concussions....🤔😳

Almost 73. Thought I was doing myself a favor, played town team league basketball until I was 65. Since then 2 new knees. Will admit that has slowed me down. But still out there, helped pack out 3 elk this archery season. Two of them fairly short packs. The other was a 19.5 mile day that started at 5:30am and ended at 10:30 pm, but we used horses on that one, so I rode in and walked out, but my horse was packing half the elk and we were loosing altitude on the way out. But the last .75 mile was uphill not extremely steep and I was beginning to wonder if I had enough in me to make it.

Almost 73. Thought I was doing myself a favor, played town team league basketball until I was 65. Since then 2 new knees. Will admit that has slowed me down. But still out there, helped pack out 3 elk this archery season. Two of them fairly short packs. The other was a 19.5 mile day that started at 5:30am and ended at 10:30 pm, but we used horses on that one, so I rode in and walked out, but my horse was packing half the elk and we were loosing altitude on the way out. But the last .75 mile was uphill not extremely steep and I was beginning to wonder if I had enough in me to make it.
That's kicking butt ! 👍🏼

Yep the wonderful world of "old age" coming if your fortunate enough.My dad never saw old age as he smoked and died at 56 of lung cancer.
Vet from Korean war but wouldn't talk about it.4 boys asking questions and he kept quiet.
3 brothers smoked and one died in 2019 of heart disease,younger than me.The youngest boy found out last year his smoking has given him lung cancer and he will never see 70.
So seeing "Old Age"is a good thing!I get to see it in person in January.I'll drink a cup of coffee to those that never saw or will see "Old Age".

Last edited: