Pack Rifle Project caliber selection

I have a Tikka T-3 light in 300 wsm for a backpack carry rifle. It weighs in just over 7 pounds scoped out. After freefloating the barrel it shot one hole groups at 100 yards. It shoots a 150 grain E-tip with a .469 BC at 3400 fps. It makes a very economical 600 yard backpack rifle. I also have the same rifle in 338 win mag for elk size critters. At 600 yards it will kill anything in north america.

I have a Kimber Montana in 300WSM with a 4.5-14 Leupold Boone and Crockett that shoots 180 grain accubonds into 3/4 inch @100. The trigger is awesome and it handles great. It is my go to rifle for pretty much anything except the really long stuff (600+). The B&C reticle works great at sea level, but I am going to get the M1 elevation knob installed for dialing as I do hunt up to 11k feet elevation. I love this setup and just got a Kimber Police in 300 Win Mag to go with it.

If you reload, why not do a 6.5x55 bob jordan ackley improved. Gets 120 grainers to 3200+, similar to 6.5x284, but with increased barrel life and greater brass life due to less case stretching.
Just a thought...........:D

I built mine on a pre 64 M70 action, used a fwt contour pac-nor @24" chambered in 280 Ai, and put it in a rimrock stock topped with talleys and a 3x9x40 leupy. Ready to go at 7 3/4 LBS and shoots very nice groups w/ barnes TTSX.

260 rem or 7mm-08 or 6.5-284( factories otto be making this cal soon I hope).

My own lite rifle is a Sav 111 270 weighs 7#3 due to carefully selected scope, rings, bases, and sling. Nest one will be a short cal like three I mentioned.

Good luck.

If Kimber made a Montana in 260 that would fit the bill, but a 7-08 seems the next best thing in a factory rifle. If youre looking at a custom, the possibilities are endless.
Pick your components well and a 7 lb all up package isn't that hard to build. I have always thought a 260AI would be sweet though.
I am gathering components for my brother in law's build right now that will be close to what you are looking for.
It may be a half pound over your weight limit when finished depending on the scope he chooses.
It will have a, Borden Alpine WSM action, Rock Creek 4 contour fluted barrel, and Lone Wolf Summit stock.
He decided on a 264/270 WSM but I still think building a 6.5 RSAUM is a better idea. The RSAUM should fit the mag better and have enough case capacity to keep up with the WSM in a 6.5.

Last edited:
Thinking bout having a pack rifle built for ranges out to around 600 yards. i would like to not have it to light aroun 7-7.5 scoped. i have a short action so was considering the 6.5 rem mag or the 6.5x.284 but i am hereing the 6.5x.284 may have some feeding and seating problems on the short action. any thoughts ?

I would seriously think about a 7 WSM in that short action, should be no problem out to 600 yrds with the right bullet and bullet placement. you can build a pack gun with 24-26" barrel and keep it at 6.2 pounds before the scope easy.

I would seriously think about a 7 WSM in that short action, should be no problem out to 600 yrds with the right bullet and bullet placement. you can build a pack gun with 24-26" barrel and keep it at 6.2 pounds before the scope easy.

+1 on the 7 WSM.

It is a powerful round and well capable of 650 yard elk (1500 ft/lbs energy) and 900 yards
for deer (1000 ft/lbs).

The 140gr bullets can be pushed to 3300+ ft/sec and the 160s to 3100ft/sec+ .All in a short
action with a 23 or 24" barrel.

The 300 WSM would also be a god choice but the ballistics are not quite as good.

The WSMs are about the most powerful rounds available in short actions and factory
ammo.

There are more powerful rounds but most need long actions and longer barrels.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

Dan Dowling in Palisades, Colorado built mine. I collected the parts, lefthanded Rem short actions take a while at times, and sent them all off to him. He trues the action, chambers and beds for me. I had the bolt fluted by Kampfeld out of Michigan and swapped out the firing pin and bolt shroud with a lightweight PTG version.

Scoped it with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 with M1 vertical turret on it. It would be 4 ounces lighter with a 6x36 CDS equipped Leupold, but the current one tracks beautifully and is yet to miss on game.

He is a wonderful smith and is well known in the industry.

How do you like your Leupold with the M1 turret? I am looking at sending in my 6.5x20 for my 264 win mag to get the target adjustment added and turret made.

The M1 turrets have been extremely useful on 4 rifles for us. That said, my most recent build is running a CDS turret on a 6.5-06. It is tracking very well and I just called in my free custom turret yesterday. You can't go wrong with either one though.

Dan Dowling in Palisades, Colorado built mine. I collected the parts, lefthanded Rem short actions take a while at times, and sent them all off to him. He trues the action, chambers and beds for me. I had the bolt fluted by Kampfeld out of Michigan and swapped out the firing pin and bolt shroud with a lightweight PTG version.

Scoped it with a VXIII 3.5-10x40 with M1 vertical turret on it. It would be 4 ounces lighter with a 6x36 CDS equipped Leupold, but the current one tracks beautifully and is yet to miss on game.

He is a wonderful smith and is well known in the industry.

+1 on Dowling. I just got my rifle back from Dan last week. I sent him a M700 300WSM that was built by another 'smith. It had never shot well. After Dan went through it, the thing's best group is .30" and has shot .75" average with TTSX's. Dan is also one of the most reasonably priced guys out there and he's pretty fast if he doesn't have to wait on parts. I highly recommend him.

I also just ordered a VX3 3.5-10X40mm CDS for this rifle. I'm not sure what the final weight will be but I think we are going to have a long and fruitful relationship! :)

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.