Pack ideas for my wife

You could also take a look at the Kuiu venture series in a 2300 or 1800. They are an internal frame pack at less than half the cost of the carbon fiber frame packs. Bought one last year for my 12 yr old boy in the 2300 cu inch and he loves it. Just big enough for a night or two and packs smaller meat loads no problem. Also very light and the medium size fits him perfect. cheers, Jason

Stone Glacier (my favorite) or Mystery Ranch would be my pick(s)...not a fan of KUIU as a company, brand, or degree of workmanship. They use subpar and inferior material. But...they DID just release "Valo" Camo 😂

P.S., don't waste your time or effort replying to my comment(s) trying to defend your sacred KUIU...
Not defending, just genuinely curious about specifics?
I also like Stone Glacier and MR so I am curious what disappointed/offended/insert-own-adjective about the company, brand, degree of workmanship, materials that led you to your conclusion.

Not defending, just genuinely curious about specifics?
I also like Stone Glacier and MR so I am curious what disappointed/offended/insert-own-adjective about the company, brand, degree of workmanship, materials that led you to your conclusion.
Several friends have had TERRIBLE results with KUIU packs. Three of them have/had SG and MR and wanted to try KUIU. Well, after one weekend in the ND Badlands, the surface material was already wearing thin/through the packs. One of the three had a buckle bust and another had a zipper seize. Might've been a bad batch, but can't confirm. At any rate, they're all back to using their old packs, and those that switched to KUIU apparel are back to Sitka Gear (same issues as packs). The other friend that switched to KUIU is back to his Kifaru because he said it was the most uncomfortable pack he'd ever worn.

Several friends have had TERRIBLE results with KUIU packs. Three of them have/had SG and MR and wanted to try KUIU. Well, after one weekend in the ND Badlands, the surface material was already wearing thin/through the packs. One of the three had a buckle bust and another had a zipper seize. Might've been a bad batch, but can't confirm. At any rate, they're all back to using their old packs, and those that switched to KUIU apparel are back to Sitka Gear (same issues as packs). The other friend that switched to KUIU is back to his Kifaru because he said it was the most uncomfortable pack he'd ever worn.
Well I'm glad I've had better luck than your friends and I agree with you that SG and MR are high quality choices.

Stone Glacier (my favorite) or Mystery Ranch would be my pick(s)...not a fan of KUIU as a company, brand, or degree of workmanship. They use subpar and inferior material. But...they DID just release "Valo" Camo 😂

P.S., don't waste your time or effort replying to my comment(s) trying to defend your sacred KUIU...
OMG😂

Ok 'huntintoo' and 'bowkill02', you have to give us some details of your wives (age, injuries, defects, physical shape, appetite, etc.). I will talk to my wife. She just might like having another wife around to help with things. And we've got an extra Eberlestock M5 Team Elk pack that might interest you.

On a more serious note, yes, we do have several Eberlestock packs that we use. The M5 is a great pack (2600-3100 cubic inches), and not a frame pack. The A1X3 pack preceeded the M5, but only about 1500 ci, and has served us well. The J34 looks to be a viable choice also, starting 2300ci, expandable to 4600, and able to hit 7500 cubic inches with a 'duffle' added.

I know the other brands make good, if not great packs. But Eberlestock has been our pack of choice in our family. Oops, I forgot that my daughter prefers her Tenzing SP14 (1600ci) because of how well it carries her compound bow.

I know for a fact that my wife only wants one bag. She always busts balls because I have backups for my backups. She is gona cut her teeth this year with antilope hunting and maybe a weekend or 2 deer and cow elk hunting with me. We are on trails multiple times a week though, sometimes just o iij there gittin it, and other times we'll pack dinner and lunch and make a whole day out of it. We gave a young daughter who always accompanies us so one of us always seems to carry her load too. Right now she used an cabelas pack from 10years ago that's just ragged out. It worked well back home because our hikes never consisted of more than a few miles of relatively flat terrain.
I can't see her backpacking in and camping yet so I dont need a massive pack. We camp alot and will primarily hunt from the camp which will be close to a road. Alot oh her camping gear is huge so if she desides to stay out with me away from the truck we'll need to get he lighter and more packable gear.
I ran an eberlestock years ago and it was so uncomfortable that I've never considered getting another one. We are gona head I to billings in another week and maybe just go try a few on. Please keep all suggestions coming,

Kuiu 1850 is definitely what I'd suggest. Like stated can be run with or without a frame giving you the option of the load sling mode with the frame and plenty of space for packing meat.
The new Pro suspension is hands down a huge improvement over older models and far more adjustable than before.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts