Pack for gun or bow

I have a Badlands Hybrid and a Eberlestock X1. Both great for hauling rifle or bow and will pack out a large whitetail. The eberlestock has a notch up on the badlands for carrying the rifle but the badlands is way better for the bow and quiver. Getting into an elk sized pack, both outfits make rigs of the appropriate size and you can't beat the quality of either of them.

How big of a pack are you looking for? I just bought an Eberlestock X1 for a day pack and loaded it to 50lbs yesterday and it was comfortable. If you are looking for a larger pack I would suggest a Just One by Eberlestock or the comparable Badlands model unless you want to spend an arm and a leg on a Mystery Pack.

In the fall I bought the eberlestock J34 pack after many reccommendations from the folks on LRH. I did use the pack in hunting season to haul my gear and rifle, but was not successful enough to haul any quarters out with it. Just from the few miles I put the pack thru I was very happy with my purchase, and would reccommend this pack to others.

I have one of the Markhor Ibex packs and find that to be plenty big enough and it's really comfortable and carries well ... but there are probably heaps of packs that do that these days.

Good luck

I packed out a "field stripped" whole whitetail last fall in an Eberlestock X-1. It comes ready to go for packing a bow or rifle. Never tried it with a bow so can't comment. But it will haul more meat than I'm willing to carry and my rifle.

It is daypack sized. If you're also using it for packing camp too you'll need something bigger.

Last week I received a Eberlestock J 34. I've been on some 3 miles hikes around the neighborhood and found it very comfortable. I got the 'spike duffel' with it so it is expandable from the daypack setup I have to full on backpack camping. Scoped hunting rifle without bipods is easily carried and accessed.

It looks like a bow would also fit securely but would not be as easily accessed as a rifle. I do not have a bow to try at the moment so this is a guesstament.

Jack

I have had an Eberlestock J34 now for 3 seasons. I can honestly say that it is my favorite piece of equipment. I have packed out two entire mule deer in one trip. I hauled out both front quarters, the backstraps, and head of my bull elk in one trip. And I hauled out my black bear head and hide last year. The J107 has a little bit more ridgid frame and would handle those heavier loads a little better. The J34 is a little more comfortable on all the other trips where you don't punch a tag. For me that's about 99% of the time. I also bought the spike duffle and that pack can handle much more of a load than I can. I've owned and used a lot of packs and in my opinion Eberlestock is way ahead of the game. Can't wait to take it deep into wyoming after mule deer next year.

I have had an Eberlestock J34 now for 3 seasons. I can honestly say that it is my favorite piece of equipment. I have packed out two entire mule deer in one trip. I hauled out both front quarters, the backstraps, and head of my bull elk in one trip. And I hauled out my black bear head and hide last year. The J107 has a little bit more ridgid frame and would handle those heavier loads a little better. The J34 is a little more comfortable on all the other trips where you don't punch a tag. For me that's about 99% of the time. I also bought the spike duffle and that pack can handle much more of a load than I can. I've owned and used a lot of packs and in my opinion Eberlestock is way ahead of the game. Can't wait to take it deep into wyoming after mule deer next year.

Good luck on your hunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.