Pack Choice

Blacktail

I like to pack into places and live off my back for 4-5 days. I have an eberlestock pack now. Its ok but not as comfortable as i would like. looking for something better any ideas..?

I use this with the camo 'pack duffel' mentioned partway down the page. http://www.kifaru.net/FREIGHTR.HTM I typically will setup camp for 2-3 days at a time before moving on and don't need the constant weight hauling ability of the full on longhunter pack: http://www.kifaru.net/LONGHUNT.HTM. Once I unload camp, I've got a lightweight hauling system that carrys a rifle more comfortably that anything else I've tried. The rifle is also quicker to get into action the way Kifaru has this set up than using a shoulder sling and much more comfortable and less awkward than a shoulder sling plus it's hands free. If I kill something I can immediately pack out part of it w/o having to go get another pack, etc. The only thing I don't like about it is all the exposed plastic and nylon. There's a couple of fleece panels on Kifaru packs, but not enough IMHO. I've made a complete lightweight camo/hunter orange fleece pack cover that covers the entire pack which makes it very quiet.

The guy who owns Kifaru (Patrick Smith) used to own Mountain Smith, a well known mountaineering pack, etc. manufacturer. So his background is in technical mountaineering/outdoor gear which is where a great deal of the best gear comes from. When I looked at a number of packs made for hunting before purchasing the Kifaru freigter, I just had to laugh at some of the examples. After 20 years mountaineering experience and knowing how well top of the line mountaineering gear is made, I realized that a lot of hunting gear leaves a great deal to be desired. I've not been in the market for a hunting pack for several years, but Kifaru is about the only company I've seen so far that makes packs that combine hunting and a real technically advanced/innnovative packing system that really works well. All their packs are custom sized to your body dimensions as well. Good luck.

I have an old REI Cima 80. It is an 8,000 cu inch pack. It can accommodate a rifle with some minor work because it has a open pouch on the center and straps above that. I was prepared to pack my rifle and gear into the Salmon River back country but found enough elk closer to the road that I did not need to. REI no longer makes the pack in this format so you will need to pick up a used one. I am 6"3" tall so that will give you an idea of what it fits.
review

Arcteryx makes some of the most comfortable packs I have ever tried. Could probably get a system on one of them that is similar to the eberlestocks too...

[ QUOTE ]
Mystery Ranch is supposedly great.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are....

The "it" packs with the "shooters" in the military, and hardcore backpack hunters, are Kifaru, and the Mystery Ranch NICE frame packs. They're worth every penny.......

I have used a Kifaru on many mountain backpacking hunts and would highly reccomend them. I don't have a lot of experience with other high end packs so I don't have a feel for how Kifaru compares to the other packs mentioned.

At the very least go to Kifaru's web site and order the gun bearer system. It is less than $50 (I think) and worth many times that when carrying a rifle in rough country (double or triple that if it is heavy cannon us LR types are known to carry). It keeps the rifle secure and puts the weight on your hips rather than your shoulder. It can be put on any brand of pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.