PA. Votes NO

How do you explain the rest of the country using semi auto 30-06s for going on a 100 years.

Being prone to fear, explains your un-American beliefs of government intrusion into your daily lives.

Not much better than the folks in CA.

That about sums it up Zerk.

Working on loads last couple for 760, with imr 4350 and nose partion. Getting 1" at 100 yards on 54.5 -55.5. I though I had it it with 54.8. Then threw in some 55.5s I had, vertical string, all 3 touching.

I am using lead sled, testing loads, not me. Also using x10 on scope. But just wanted to beat a dead horse on people saying these are inaccurate guns.

Obviously the problem is them or, the load. I did install a timney trigger this winter, which helps.

Going to try some Hornady interlocks, hope they do well, 1/2 price, for punching paper.

prohibiting semis in PA is idiotic, but to be expected. And according to this the survey itself was very questionable. https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/04/...ers-and-semi-automatics-for-big-game-hunting/

None of the many, many hunters I know were ever invited to take part. Not a single one.

unfortunately, the snobbery of a certain kind of gun owners and hunters will continue to be detrimental to the sport. We need to grow our ranks by welcoming all shooters, even those who choose a different rifle other than our own favorite brand or action. Anyone who snubs semi owners because they think their open sited 30-30 (or whatever) was good enough for them, so it has to be good enough for me too is simply doing the divisive bidding of the anti gunners. And that snobbery and selfishness left unchecked will eventually achieve what Franklin warned about - we'll all hang separately, if we don't all hang together.

Last edited:
prohibiting semis in PA is idiotic, but to be expected. And according to this the survey itself was very questionable. https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/04/...ers-and-semi-automatics-for-big-game-hunting/

None of the many, many hunters I know were ever invited to take part. Not a single one.

unfortunately, the snobbery of a certain kind of gun owners and hunters will continue to be detrimental to the sport. We need to grow our ranks by welcoming all shooters, even those who choose a different rifle other than our own favorite brand or action. Anyone who snubs semi owners because they think their open sited 30-30 (or whatever) was good enough for them, so it has to be good enough for me too is simply doing the divisive bidding of the anti gunners. And that snobbery and selfishness left unchecked will eventually achieve what Franklin warned about - we'll all hang separately, if we don't all hang together.

Well this year marked the 70th anniversary of my hunting in the state of PA. To mark that a very good friend and I drove to the place
where I spent the first day hunting deer all those years ago.
As the crow flies it would be probably about 75 miles across the ridge tops from where I now hunt.
Back then the rifle of choice would no doubt have been an open sighted 30/30. But back then the car that had taken me there had no heater either, and most others didn't. Everybody had cold wet feet also, because there were no good boots.
Yet back then the schools were closed statewide for 3 days for the opening of buck season.
After spending a few hours driving around the area we left there,
drove back down rt 14 to Trout Run, then north on 15 to Liberty.
From there we took 414 to Morris, Blackwell, Cedar Run, and finally
Slate run where we stopped at the store and had lunch. We were the only ones in the store for about the hour we spent there. I joked with the girl making our subs that we must have our season date mixed up. There was almost no traffic on the road all the way from Liberty, and almost no cars parked. At least 90 percent of the camps along the way were empty.
We drove around that area the rest of the day, including lots of miles on the west rim road. Again, very few cars parked, very little traffic, no hunters at all at some of the best locations east of the
Mississippi on the very first day of the season. We didn't see a single
dead deer at all anywhere all day on the first day of the season.

Now if somebody wants to try to convince me that making semi autos legal would change any of that then have at it.

I've read that survey. Maybe something good will come from it.

I've read that survey. Maybe something good will come from it.
It sounds like they already knew the answer they wanted, and made sure they sent their survey to the "correct" group that would rubber stamp their decision.

It is wrong, and I have no patience for the snobs who look down on anybody who wants to use a semi. I doubt I'd ever take out my AR10 except under certain very particular conditions - since I was a kid, there have only been a handful of times that I needed a second shot.....in fact, I seldom have to work the bolt for a second round, which is nice because I don't lose brass. But to become a self-important snob that does the bidding of the Soros/bolshevik leftist anti-gunners by siding against semi owners is inexcusable.

It sounds like they already knew the answer they wanted, and made sure they sent their survey to the "correct" group that would rubber stamp their decision.

It is wrong, and I have no patience for the snobs who look down on anybody who wants to use a semi. I doubt I'd ever take out my AR10 except under certain very particular conditions - since I was a kid, there have only been a handful of times that I needed a second shot.....in fact, I seldom have to work the bolt for a second round, which is nice because I don't lose brass. But to become a self-important snob that does the bidding of the Soros/bolshevik leftist anti-gunners by siding against semi owners is inexcusable.

Well the state of PA has over the years been one of the leading states as for hunting license sales numbers in the country.
Not sure how much the actual license sales numbers have fallen off, but certainly the interest in rifle hunting has fallen off sharply, and i don't personally believe what guns we are free to use has any bearing at all on that.
As for what people like George Soros and others like him would prefer, that would be easy to answer, total confiscation of any and all guns in private possession.
Same as all other dictators have prescribed since firearms have been in use.
As for the term liberal, it is the more liberal among us who are insisting on changes to what has and should be still working very well.
Id be interested in knowing if interest has fallen off in other states that do allow for using any rifle a person chooses.

Well the state of PA has over the years been one of the leading states as for hunting license sales numbers in the country.
Not sure how much the actual license sales numbers have fallen off, but certainly the interest in rifle hunting has fallen off sharply, and i don't personally believe what guns we are free to use has any bearing at all on that.
As for what people like George Soros and others like him would prefer, that would be easy to answer, total confiscation of any and all guns in private possession.
Same as all other dictators have prescribed since firearms have been in use.
As for the term liberal, it is the more liberal among us who are insisting on changes to what has and should be still working very well.
Id be interested in knowing if interest has fallen off in other states that do allow for using any rifle a person chooses.

Well,,,, Yobuck, I see you are still missing the point completely. LMAO!! IT'S not about what is working now or what has worked in the past with fire arms in PA. It's about the right of the people to use what ever fire arm they want to. And people like you being indifferent or ignorant to the ideas of other hunters and their ideas of what type of rife to use is completely asinine.

Well,,,, Yobuck, I see you are still missing the point completely. LMAO!! IT'S not about what is working now or what has worked in the past with fire arms in PA. It's about the right of the people to use what ever fire arm they want to. And people like you being indifferent or ignorant to the ideas of other hunters and their ideas of what type of rife to use is completely asinine.

I think i understand completely, and for the record, if the day comes
your side wins, ill still go hunting, and i wont be found whining about it on sites like this. Nor do i think any others will.
Your beating your drum at the wrong place anyway.
I even tried helping you by pointing you to a PA site that has lots of others with your same views on that. Go get the vote out, bring all the support you can muster to a PGC meeting and demand action. Attacking people like me on sites like this because we aren't in lock step with your opinions, wont get you anywhere.
Now how about answering my question, has states allowing semi autos experienced a decline in rifle hunter numbers as has happened in PA?
Theres no doubt in my mind that if the season opener were on a Sat. and both bucks of any size and does were fair game, and semi autos were legal, it would be hard to find a parking spot.
FOR THAT DAY.
Sunday, they would be back home playing fantasy football. lol

I think i understand completely, and for the record, if the day comes
your side wins, ill still go hunting, and i wont be found whining about it on sites like this. Nor do i think any others will.
Your beating your drum at the wrong place anyway.
I even tried helping you by pointing you to a PA site that has lots of others with your same views on that. Go get the vote out, bring all the support you can muster to a PGC meeting and demand action. Attacking people like me on sites like this because we aren't in lock step with your opinions, wont get you anywhere.
Now how about answering my question, has states allowing semi autos experienced a decline in rifle hunter numbers as has happened in PA?
Theres no doubt in my mind that if the season opener were on a Sat. and both bucks of any size and does were fair game, and semi autos were legal, it would be hard to find a parking spot.
FOR THAT DAY.
Sunday, they would be back home playing fantasy football. lol

Yeah well, I'm only giving you what your handing out and if you want to call it attacking you,, put on your big boy pants and look who's whining now.
As for semis in other states I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure it hasn't hurt and created more opportunities for hunting.
And your wrong about the season opener with bucks and does, the only thing that would change would be people could hunt with semis. Unless the PGC did another crooked and fixed survey favorable to people that want to shoot anything brown that can go down.

so now blasting anything brown with a white tail is the apogee of PA deer hunting, and the thing that would get more people interested in the sport?

lol. during the Great Depression maybe. Or in an Amish community.

Semi rifles and bucks with big racks are the things that draw interest from newbies.

Last edited:
so now blasting anything brown with a white tail is the apogee of PA deer hunting, and the thing that would get more people interested in the sport?

lol. during the Great Depression maybe. Or in an Amish community.

Semi rifles and bucks with big racks are the things that draw interest from newbies.

In my opinion, if a poll were taken at the time the license was issued, many of those wanting semi autos made legal, would also prefer changing opening day buck to be on a Saturday, and also that Sunday hunting be permitted. The reason for my opinion, is that those things are creating the most noise among hunters.
Even the antler restrictions, which have no doubt contributed to the
large amount of bigger racks being killed than at any time i can remember in the 70 years ive hunted, is disliked by a large percentage of hunters.
Their rights are being violated by not being permitted to shoot any buck regardless of rack size is the argument.
Much the same type argument being heard here about rifle choice.
What happened about a decade ago when the PGC decided to allow for the use of cross bows by hunters having a handicap?
The answer is that within about 3 years many hunters were handi caped, and the ranks were growing rapidly. To the point it became a joke, so what choice was to be made? The handicap provision was eliminated.
Has that improved archery hunting?
Or rather has it turned large numbers of hunters into archery hunters, and increased the archery deer kill numbers drasticly?
But again the question, has it improved archery hunting?
Another question, has it increased the number of wounded animals during archery season?
For the record, ive never hunted archery, or even shot a bow of any type.
I don't think hunting opportunity, should be confused with choice of weapon to do it with, because the two are totally different subjects.
So to claim that ones hunting rights are being denied, by not being permitted to use a certain type weapon, is a pretty hollow argument,
again in my opinion.
Especially when the person making the claim, also claims to never need a second shot.

Yeah well, I'm only giving you what your handing out and if you want to call it attacking you,, put on your big boy pants and look who's whining now.
As for semis in other states I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure it hasn't hurt and created more opportunities for hunting.
And your wrong about the season opener with bucks and does, the only thing that would change would be people could hunt with semis. Unless the PGC did another crooked and fixed survey favorable to people that want to shoot anything brown that can go down.

I've seen this on other message boards, and it's a shame the same problem has to exist on a hunting and shooting forum where many people should be of (relatively) like mind, or at least ideologically friendly to pro gun causes. But apparently even here there are trolls. When someone shoves their way into another person's thread and deliberately tries to derail conversations by responding to every single post, arguing and acting like a horse's rear end, that is hard core trolling.

On other sites you actually have paid posters who work for moveon, peta, etc. whose job is to troll and spoil. Here I think the motivation is intrinsic.

PA has plenty of people like that. When I bought a big tract of acreage out in Western PA, I had the same kind of guys show up and hunt my land after it was posted. When I'd confront them, they'd say things like "we've hunted here for 50 years, and you're not going to stop us". Then when I did stop them, they'd come back after I drove home, and they'd cut down my trees and poach deer. Because that's the mentality of stubborn know-it-alls who think they are special and are offended that newcomers don't give them the unquestioned awe and respect that they think they deserve.

In my opinion,

I've read enough of your opinion to know that I don't care to read any more of your opinion. I wanted to discuss this issue with the OP since he made the thread about it. I do not feel like going back and forth with someone who is trolling the thread. Good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts