PA. Votes NO

Well Bigngreen we are venturing away from the original subject, but I guess that can be expected.
First ill respond to your grandkids statement by saying I have (grandkids) in their 30s
who also have kids old enough to hunt. So far, the only interest they have is being in
their room playing with a computer or iPhone. I have little doubt they might get excited
over having a drone also.
On the other hand, my grandkids have all been introduced to hunting, and none of them needed to be bribed with a cool gun in order to take to it. Wether or not they all stick with it for their lifetime remains to be seen.
That goes for a grand daughter also, now 16 who didn't need bribing with a pink gun.
They either have the desire or they don't, and in todays society, many of them don't.
But the best of luck to you with yours, regardless as to how you choose to approach it.
Now as for PA and wether or not the decision on semi autos was a good or bad decision.
Realize if you can that were talking about a highly populated eastern state, not the open spaces of Montana and other states with far less hunters. In some counties of PA, rifles aren't permitted at all for hunting, other than rimfires. And that includes some with a considerable amount of rural area.
Have you ever seen a pickup truck or even several of them stacked full of dead doe?
And truth be told, most of them shot by just a few of the partisipents of the hunt?
Do you have any friends with 10 and even 20 round magazines for their 760 Rem pumps?
Well I do, and they often emptied them when a herd of doe came out of a drive within range of them on doe days. Now they all got tagged and used, (at least the dead ones), but not all of the tag owners were on the hunt.
We will never be able to kill enough deer to be worried about it was their claim.
But they did, it took awhile, but they did, in places that now have hunters complaining about no deer.
But guys like Waynzee will say that's the PGCs fault for issuing too many doe tags.
We now have a full week of rifle doe season, not counting the very long archery season where does are always an option.
We also now have the DCNR issuing doe tags in designated areas, (they) not the PGC,
think has too many deer. And you can get all of them you want, and they really cant
control what area you shoot them in. We now see large groups of hunters during the 2nd week doing organized drives. They have no connection to the area as for camps, many are Amish, just there for a day of deer slaughtering. Next year they will go wherever they can secure the most doe permits.
So while you might be envisioning a hunter on private land in your area of Montana while carrying a rifle of his choice, also try to envision what I just described, that is if you were listening.

B.S. yobuck I don't know what part of PA. you hunt but there is no way you can legally stack deer in a truck and have somebody else tag them. Also, here in N.E. PA. we have game commission officers all over the woods checking for stuff like that. And what's up with the 10 and 20 round magazines in your 760 pump, what it's ok to dump 10 or 20 rounds on a herd of doe from your beloved Rem. 760 pump but it's not ok to take an AR 15 with a 5 round magazine to hunt with. B.S. You and your buddies are the reason PA. is a backward state.

You are either very naïve, have been living under a rock, or are in complete denial of what goes on with a large percentage of (sportsmen).
Probably everywhere, but were only discussing PA here, where ive been around since
modern day doe seasons began in 1950. That was a 2 day season with no special tag
required. BUT, it was held on the first 2 days of the season, which meant the buck season that year started on Wed.
Do you have any idea of how many (outlaws) that created among a group of otherwise law abiding people?
UHHH, we cant shoot that buck till tomorrow.
Or how about, sure that doe was hanging there yesterday.
Did you ever know anyone who made sure wifey had a license, and a doe tag even though wifey never hunted?
Maybe grandpop dosent hunt anymore, but he still gets a license and a doe tag?
Yeah warden that's the wifes and grandpops deer there in the truck, but they were only here for one drive, and grandpop wasent feeling well so the wife to him back.
That is if they were ever checked to begin with, which is highly unlikely, especially if its on private farms.
Which is where my friends with the big magazines hunted.
To be more specific, Laceyville area of Bradford county.
Ive never been to Laceyville, nor have I ever hunted in Bradford county.
In 70 years, ive never been approached by a warden while hunting. In 45 years, a deputy warden has stopped at our present camp which is on a paved road within about a mile from town, exactly 1 time to check the deer hanging there for tags.
For about 20 of those years, the warden, not a deputy, lived about 2 miles down past our camp on the same road, and he never stopped. Fact is he still lives there after retirement.
They check the ones they feel they have reason to check, because there isn't enough hours to check all.
Besides all that, how much do they really care about a dead doe with a legal tag, unless they have other reasons.
I could go on to tell a long story about them having (other reasons) to be suspicious
about an (actual member of the PA game commission), who they finally caught dragging a doe with wifeys tag on it, after having shot a buck.
So if you or others you know are routinly being checked, count on the fact theres a good reason.
As for me owning a 760, yes I did own one in 3o / 06.
Prior to that I had a model 141 Rem in 35 Rem, which was bought new for me in 1948, the 2nd year I hunted.
The 760 was good for about a 5" 100 yd group, if as they say I did my part.
So when Savage decided that leftys were actually a legitimate group and built the first lefty bolt gun at least in this country, I soon bought one, and said goodby to the pump guns. That would have been about 1960 that I made the switch.
As for doe tags and doe hunting, ive never bought a tag, and have only killed one doe which was accidently, and for which I paid a then $25 fine for turning it in.
I have no problem with others taking a doe if they want one, and don't get greedy about shooting them.
Ive also never drawn a bow of any type, for either hunting or target.
Again, I'm not at all opposed to archery, and many of my friends and family members are avid archery hunters.
But I took very seriously, the 1 deer and done law. Meaning as at least as I interpreted it, if you shoot a deer in the archery season, you don't get to hunt in rifle season.
And I can tell you what you already know, that being I took much razzing from friends over that position.
WINK WINK, who cares, remove the tag, stick it in your wallet and use it on your rifle shot deer.
There are things where I come down hard on the PGC, and the tag type is one of them.
They know full well what goes on, and yet they stick with a tag that can very easily be removed and reused.
Unless of coarse wifey has one.

Yobuck, when and where is the last time you hunted in PA.? It sure isn't like what you're saying now. And here again you rant about about something other than the use of semi autos.

Well I think weve more than worn this thing out Waynzee.
My reason for hanging in there with you was an attempt to show others that its more than simply the semi auto thing involved.
Its also a mindset some have with regard to the PGC.
As for your question about the last time I hunted, that would have been this past season, and had you been listening, you would have known that.
Last year was the second time in 45 years, I didn't spend the entire deer season at our camp. And since my wifes passing, now more than 8 years ago, ive been spending at least 3 and often more months there each year including the entire fall hunting seasons.
Our camp is in the heart of the PA elk range, and to date 3 elk have been killed on our property. Each elk kill site is investigated by the game warden for that district, which in our case is now Wayne Hunt. He asks general questions, like what can you tell me about the kill, was permission asked for and given to trespass on your land and so forth.
He is apt to accept coffee if offered, and is as a rule in no big hurry to leave.
So the conversation can get onto other issues hunting related other than the elk kill.
I'm of the opinion, that when he leaves, he has more information than he came for
without my knowing it. I don't hesitate to bring my views on things including the elk
to his attention. And he dosent always at least vocally disagree.
As ive attempted to bring into this conversation, we have more to be happy about than we have to be unhappy about by a large amount.

Oh I've been paying attention, Yobuck, that's why I'm going to cut and copy all this and send it to PGC headquarters in Harrisburg. Friggen deer by the truck load your *** is grass and all your frirggen buddies too. Tagging deer with wifeys license oh yeah trapped you and did the rest of the legal PA. hunters a favor.

Oh I've been paying attention, Yobuck, that's why I'm going to cut and copy all this and send it to PGC headquarters in Harrisburg. Friggen deer by the truck load your *** is grass and all your frirggen buddies too. Tagging deer with wifeys license oh yeah trapped you and did the rest of the legal PA. hunters a favor.

Why don't you do just that Waynzee.

It appears waynzee has special privileges to be able to use profanity and use such profanity in name calling. I believe the moderators should rein mr. waynzee in a little bit. But hey, that's just my thought on the matter. After all others visit this sight. Wouldn't want others to get the wrong idea here. Now he will turn his attention on me,but hey I got big shoulders I can take it. ctw

It appears waynzee has special privileges to be able to use profanity and use such profanity in name calling. I believe the moderators should rein mr. waynzee in a little bit. But hey, that's just my thought on the matter. After all others visit this sight. Wouldn't want others to get the wrong idea here. Now he will turn his attention on me,but hey I got big shoulders I can take it. ctw

Naw, I'm done debating with you and Yobuck, some people are just too narrow minded to see the greater good for everybody. You guys got what you wanted for now so enjoy it while you can.

wow,Wayzee, you sure are flappig off a lot for not knowing Yobuck like I DO. I hunted with the wonderful man and his boys for @7 or 8 years and HE never said that is what he does. We set up and covered (glassed) a lot of ground and I sure wouldn't have wanted to walk and stalk it.

I personally watched him shoot an AR and he sure is not anti gun! I think his opinion is right on as I have no doubt there are those waiting out there who don't care about being accurate like longrange bench shooters and LR hunters are but spray and pray....I would be scared to go in the woods in those places! I feel way safer "setting up" very visible and we still get scoped by assholes who don't carry binoculars!

I don't think allowing semi autos or Sunday hunting would increase licence sales.

I don't care if it does. You are missing the point, it is not the governments role. The DNR manages our game, and sets seasons and limits to maintain it.

I'm OK with it. I'm sure there are a few who hunt deer with a .223, but I'm sure most hunt with something considerably larger. ...

I know lots of people who use 30-06 Browings.

For me this whole things is way to much government intervention. I have have read you even have to tell them who is as at your camp and what caliber. Total BS.

Just shows the problem with America, is the coasts.

Few years back, when it was discussed before, people were sayng deer would be running around wounded, and people would be dead. What about the rest of of the country? These people are just flannel wearing californians.

I have nothing good to say about people who allow the government to lead them by the hand.

wd he sure is not anti gun!!

I don't know him. But we got lots of people who say " I am pro gun, but......"

How do people in PA explain what goes on in the rest of the country? I'd say bolts are the most popular, but still lots of semi auto 30-06s. Not sure why people keep bringing up ARs.

This backward law was passed before AR15s.

Could easily have a cartridge minimum allowed for deer and bear.

The 760 was good for about a 5" 100 yd group, if as they say I did my part.
Unless of coarse wifey has one.

I was checking handloads in mine last weekend. n This a very common misconception, that people keep spreading. Not sure why.

What I notice is the 3rd and 4th shot walk if you are firing in a row. Not 5" though. You can do 2 shots in a row pretty darn close to an inch. I did have 2 touching, on my best load, but was not reproducing it all the time.

Not sure how these got such bad raps. People that don't practice enough I guess.

Also noticed this barrel will have 4 strays shots after cleaning sometimes, other I may take one shot to foul, may not. Also after 20 something it starts to open up again.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.