PA Groundhog Game Camera Spotting

crowsnest2002

This one just knew it was groundhog day.

Attachments

• 00004303.JPG
    00004303.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 265
Bagged one today with my 20 Vartarg. The Sierra 32 gr BK didnt exit and he didnt move. Interesting thing about this one. The lady who owns the farm said this one twice got under her car and was ripping out insulation. Perhaps for nesting material. He ripped out sheet metal heat shielding to get to it! In 50 years of hunting these critters, never seen anything like this before. His sheet metal career is over

Ok maybe a weird question to ask in this thread but anyone ever see groundhogs our moving at night ??? Like 11 pm completely dark . I hit one last week on my drive home big sucker to . Like I've seen some crazy stuff with ground hogs climbing trees and such but never one in the pitch dark

Never noticed them out at night. They can do as they wish I guess and they could make a tough stand against predators if need be. I've shot them from trees, fence rails, and barns but never seen them at night.

Usually, around this time of year, the beans are too high to see groundhogs. I'm often reduced to waiting on the perimeter of the field just before dusk, hoping to nail the ones that live in the fence rows or edges of woods nearby as they return to their holes after eating. Have to work fast, as they don't lolly-gag there in the (usual) grass strip of "No-Hogs' Land'" between the two areas.
Can't recall having ever seen a woodchuck out after dark, but maybe it's an evolving way to avoid predators - although many of those around here are more active at night.

Last edited:
Usually, around this time of year, the beans are too high to see groundhogs. I'm often reduced to waiting on the perimeter of the field just before dusk, hoping to nail the ones that live in the fence rows or edges of woods nearby as they return to their holes after eating. Have to work fast, as they don't lolly-gag there in the (usual) grass strip of "No-Hogs' Land'" between the two areas.
Can't recall having ever seen a woodchuck out after dark, but maybe it's an evolving way to avoid predators - although many of those around here are more active at night.
Well there could be some truth to the idea of them adapting due to the pressure placed on them by coyotes.
To a large degree deer and especially bucks have become more nocturnal as well, at least in some areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.