Pa. deer season opens monday!

weaverism

Well the big day in here Pennsylvania will be here on monday. I was wondering with all of you Pa. boys on this forum just how you were planning on hunting deer. What kinds of setups you have in mind. Distance/rifles/etc. My personal setup is in farmland on top of a hill overlooking cornfields. I setup five round haybales in a semi circle. I can move around behind them without being seen by the deers sharp eyes and they act as a very good benchrest. Rifle is a 18lb. custom Remington 700 with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 in 300WSM shooting 200gr. accubonds. Range will be 10-800yds. I'm exited! How far away do you guys get to shoot the little cropsuckers? Good luck to all!
grin.gif

Here in Cameron County and from my shooting building up in te mountain, we are set to go from close shooting of 900 yards out to 2400 yards and further if we want to.

From another spot on my land we can shoot from 650 yards out to further then 2400 yards also.

Rugged, steep, mountain terrain, and alot of State forrest land, affords long shooting here in north central, PA.

Good luck to all you PA hunters.

later
DC
smile.gif

We hunt from a hilltop overlooking clearcuts and strip jobs, ranges are from 0-1500yds. Setup is chain drive bench and rifles are 300WSM for the close in stuff and 34 inch barreled 338 Tomahawk for the looooooong shots. Both wear Leupold long range glass, the 300 wsm has 4.5x14x50 M1 and the 338 wears a 8.5x25x50 LR.

Have a great season boys

Tomahawk #1

GS-300 AND I AND SOME GUY CALLED COAL HONKIE HUNT CENTRAL PA ON SOME STEEP HIGH STATE LAND. OUR RANGES RUN FROM 400-650 IN ONE SPOT AND 700-1650 IN ANOTHER SPOT WE USE A 7-300 WTBY AND A 30 HART AND A 338-300 ULTRA IMP. FOR THE LONG WORK. WE USE THE ULTAMATE TRIPOD AND A HEAVY DUTY BENCH. ARE SPOTTING GLASSES ARE BURRIS MINIS IN A YOKE AND OF COURSE BUSHNELL SPACEMASTERS. ARE SCOPES ARE ALL LEUPOLD.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

COAL HONKIE LIKES TO USE HIS 35 WHELEN FOR HIS LONG WORK 50-200 YARDS.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

HAVE FUN GUYS.... ERIC

Hi gents, I was wondering if any of you folks hunt off of Bull Run road in Lycoming county. I have a camp back in there and ran into a couple guys on the gas pipeline the other day. Anyway, I was intrigued by their gear, and would like to find out how to get started in long range hunting. I hunt the woods now, and would like to expand my hunting opportunities. By the way, they had a dandy buck in the back of their pickup, and were waiting for friends to pull an even bigger one out of the woods. Best to all!

Wearverism
Here's a picture of what we're looking at.
LR6.5.jpg

So far we've shot the 6.5-284 3 times. Once at 530, once at 680 and once at 733yds. Results were pretty much the same.
LR12603h.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts