P-dog range finder

Go find a Barrs & Stroud or Wilde coincidental rangefinder. They are very accurate to 20 kilometers. They are old military artillery rangefinders and extremely accurate.

They are not small being about 30 plus inched by 4 inches in diameter. Fell out of favor and the wildes can be found for $300 and the Barrs for a little more.

Google them for more detail.

My Leica 1600 works fine for pdogs. I was able to range mounds up to 700 yards. Went non a caribou hun this Sept and was able to range a small caribou at 1853 yards (no I did not try shooting it) but it did take quite some time to range it.

The best range finder available is the rancher who owns the prairie dog town! Maybe I just got lucky but the rancher that lets me come shoot his p-dogs is unbelievable at judging distance. We have challenged him to range stuff and checked him against the Leica 1600 B and he is always within 2-3 yards and way faster!

I know this thread is a few months old and that the OP have probably moved on but ranging mounds (unless they are high enough and clear from any obstruction during the ranging process) on a very flat terrain is always going to be a challenge.

I have a Leica 1600 that has no problem ranging mounds but need a good vantage point to do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.