P-dog range finder

foggybottombob

Has anyone had success using a rangefinder on prairie dog mounds in flat terrain? I'm specifically wondering about the Bushnell ARC 1 mile and the Leica 1600-B. I'd like to be able to range a mound out to 800 yds or so.

We have tried range finders for several years with mixed results.The main trouble is dust in the air during windy conditions and the problem of staying on one certain mound in a large town.They work better if there are large soap weeds close to a certain mound as the soap weeds reflect better.We usually end up using the first round for ranging,I know that sounds dumb but it works.

I find ranging by shots to be very inadequate.

I guess im not well informed, but i can say this much.
Years ago before lazer rangefinders were available many people didnt have rangefinders. But somehow many were still very successfull at long range hunting.
Today we not only have excellant compact rangefinders but we also have computer
generated programs to help produce accurate data sheets.
But, for best results most of us realize the data at least (should) be confirmed by
shooting. And even then on some days during some conditions the data could be
slightly wrong. Go to a 1000 yd rifle match where the distance will be exactly the
same from match to match. Yet the very best shooters will take sighter shots before shooting their record target.
None would dare just dial in the information and then just wait for the record target to be raised.
The problem as i see it is it really isnt all that difficult for most of us to become (fairly) profficient at shooting reasonably long distances.
And that frankly dosent sit well with everybody.

I don't want to argue at all. I just want inputs from people on their rangefinders. It's a simple request. I can already range with shots. That's not my question.

Flat terrain is tough. I use Swarovski and they don't let me down too often. Next in quality, if not next to Swar's. would be the Leica. {In my opinion} I read an article on range finders, went with Swarovski.

If I had to shoot a "ranging" shot every time the distance changes, I'd soon run out of ammo. I am of the opinion having a top quality rangefinder is a must. I purposely pick different ranges after each shot. Just makes it more fun shooting first 200 yards then 100 followed by say, 300, etc. The Swarovski is probably the top of the line although the Leica works exceptionally well.

Another reason I like changing ranges is by the time I locate a new target in a different area, range it, set up for the shot, it is just my method of keeping time between shot which aids in keeping the heat down.

I run a Leica 1600, it worked flawlessly on my last Pdog trip. I chose it because
it produced faster results than the Swaro when I compared them. For me, I appreciate
the near instant result. The 1600 also produced the best pinpointing ability over
the other units I tried.
The fact that it is compact is very nice. I found that I also used the 1600 to survey
prospects more so than binos, as the 7x lens was plenty but yet yielded sufficient
Field of view.
I would not hesitate in your purchase of which ever RF you decide you prefer, and
I definitely think it is a great must have tool for making your ammo produce hits.

My Leica 1600 came in yesterday. I drove about a half mile to the edge of the neighborhood where I could see past houses. Ranged a Home Depot sign that was at about a 45 degree angle to me at 1568 yds.

But looking slightly down hill in a pasture I got returns on nothing but bare ground with short grass at 590 yds. That's good enough for me. If I can range green grass at 590 then I can range a p-dog mound at that same distance or more. 600 is about as far as we ever shoot anyway.

Just got the Leica 1600B rangefinder for long range PD. Haven't had it on the PD towns yet but was using it to 1100 yards on small steel targets with no problem at all. I had the Leupold 1000 and this Leica is so much better. I am confident it will range PD mounds beyond 1000 with ease.

Mine does all I need for p-dogs. Sometimes I have to range a spot 5 or 6 times to get enough readings that are the same to believe it. But my nikon 1000 was useless past 250 yards on flat ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.