P Dog Hunting in SD with a thermal scope

Stugots

I am in the process of selecting either a thermal scope (N-Vision HALO 50 LR) or just go with N-Visions Atlas 50 binocular. This will be a 3rd rifle (this build will be a 204 Ruger) and I have an extra NF 3.5-15x56 scope I can mount on it. FWIW, my other 2 builds are 26".223's with the same scope mounted.

I love the portability of a thermal binocular but have to consider a thermal sight mounted on this new build. (Another 26" heavy varmint barrel - with the thermal, NOT very portable...) Does anyone have experience with a thermal scope shooting P Dogs out in South Dakota? I'd like to hear about it. TIA Stu.

I am thinking thermal vision was for low/no light situations...what are you wanting to do with the thermal rig? I am just thinking...why? How far away will these even work?

I have been playing with my HALO LR for a few weeks now and have determined it really will not work on P. Dogs during the day. (Not nearly enough contrast). I do have 3 AR's (2 - .223's and a .204 Ruger) that I shoot dogs with out west so the thought of this new build (in 6.5 Grendel) was just a thought.

I have a friend from my H.S. days that lives down in Florida and owns approx. 320 acres heavily infested with hogs. Every other year I fly down for a week we try to put a small dent in the heard. (He has automatic broadcast feeders set up around the property and we go in and sit in 2 seater tree stands that give you a great view of the kill zone). :cool:
I will be shooting the Grendel/HALO LR rig when I start coyote hunting later this month.

Here are a few Pix of deer that wander around the back of my house out in the wetlands...
IMAGE32.png
IMAGE45.png
IMAGE34.png
IMAGE42.png

prairie dogs at nite? Out here it's no sun no sod puppies Day or nite. I use thermals at nite for coyotes and have never noticed a prairie dog out After sundown. I have watched mice and small birds at nite with the thermal though. So if sod puppies did come out you may be able to get them shot.

I'm going to restrict my P. Dog hunting to strictly daylight hours, but was curious as to what other experiences may have been. I will be mounting my HALO LR50 on a new 6.5 Grendel build which will be used for coyotes this winter here in Minnesota and hog hunting down in Florida at a friends ranch this coming February.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.