+p 300 weatherby mag

I totally agree 👍 👍
Weatherby's have extra freebore in order to get more velocity, and if you lessen the freebore with a special reamer, you will not be able to fire factory Weatherby ammo in it, so if you make any changes in the amount of freebore, always add more freebore.

When I wildcat Weatherby's, I add more freebore for certain bullets to hold pressure to safe limits and increase velocity. If the smithing is done right, 1/2 MOA accuracy is common. To date my most accurate Weatherbys will shoot 1/4 MOA or better. With the best (I have been able to shoot) .092 5 shot group with a 30/378.

The question of +p loadings normally means loads that are faster than SAMMI max loads, but unless changes are made to the chamber specs. all that is normally all that is achieved is more pressure. But with proper dimensional changes to the chamber, more velocity can be achieved without increasing the pressure.

If I don't feel that I need or can increase velocity by 100 ft/sec + without excessive pressure or loss of accuracy, I decide not to change a perfectly good cartridge. There are many changes that need to be made to achieve more velocity without any disadvantages. So unless a person understands the effects of each change, Don't do it.

Just some advice from an old wildcatter.

J E CUSTOM
.092 ~ 5-shot group is just phenomenal!! Kudos Sir!! Love my MK5 30-378, but don't have that kind of accuracy.. but work in process! Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

Here is the group.
1606408045411.png
1606408045411.png

Who said the big Weatherby's wouldn't shoot.

J E CUSTOM

Started working up a load for my 300 weatherby mk v deluxe. I am currently debating on what I want to do about a barrel. Currently leaning towards a 27in hart with a break. So my question is a +p really worth it with the free bore and all?
I see you are from Pa.
Certainly the 300 Wetherby is an excellent cartridge for long range hunting.
As you may know there are a number of excellent gunsmiths in Pa who specialize in long range rifles.
One of my grandsons (age 38), decided early this past summer it was time to rebarrel his older 40x Rem which was factory chambered in 300 Wby with their standard 27" barrel.
He already owned the new Krieger barrel, so he began calling gunsmiths in hopes of having the gun for this season.
Most told him no chance of getting it done for this fall, Except one, and that was surprisingly Mark King. Who happens to be the top choice gunsmith for many Williamsport shooters.
Now it is possible that some name association of people my grandson knows had some influence.
But the gun has been finished for more than a month, plenty of time for him to be very happy with the results.
And by the way, Mark left him know that the 300 Wby is one of his favorite cartridges for which he has multible reamers.
Dont ask me how he throated it, but however he did it works very well with the 210 Bergers he reccomended he use.

I see you are from Pa.
Certainly the 300 Wetherby is an excellent cartridge for long range hunting.
As you may know there are a number of excellent gunsmiths in Pa who specialize in long range rifles.
One of my grandsons (age 38), decided early this past summer it was time to rebarrel his older 40x Rem which was factory chambered in 300 Wby with their standard 27" barrel.
He already owned the new Krieger barrel, so he began calling gunsmiths in hopes of having the gun for this season.
Most told him no chance of getting it done for this fall, Except one, and that was surprisingly Mark King. Who happens to be the top choice gunsmith for many Williamsport shooters.
Now it is possible that some name association of people my grandson knows had some influence.
But the gun has been finished for more than a month, plenty of time for him to be very happy with the results.
And by the way, Mark left him know that the 300 Wby is one of his favorite cartridges for which he has multible reamers.
Dont ask me how he throated it, but however he did it works very well with the 210 Bergers he reccomended he use.
I'll have to check him out he's only about an hour and half away. Thanks

I bought my 300 Weatherby 30 years ago and just got around to fitting it with a brake in Jan 2021. I sent the rifle back to Weatherby to have them thread the barrel and add their AccuBrake (so as not to void their 1 MOA guarantee). Fit and finish were superb. Sent it Dec 17 and received it Feb 5 (they told me to expect 90 days). They advertise 54% reduction in recoil and I would say that is about right from the way is feels with and without the brake.

I took the AccuBrake off and replaced it with the Precision Armament Hypertap. I went with their "slim body" because it fit my barrel contour better. They rate their .30 cal slim body Hypertap at 67% recoil reduction, and from what I felt, they are not exaggerating. I prefer the Hypertap to the AccuBrake for the reduced recoil and more importantly, the Hypertap is only side ported so it kicks up considerably less debris when shooting prone.

My rifle is a whole new gun, a joy to shoot. I've only had one day at the range since getting it back from Weatherby and I only put 30 rounds through it from the bench for load development (165 Barnes TSX and 185 Berger 185 VLD Hunting). Normally after a session like that I would have a sore shoulder and some slight bruising, but had neither. I can't speak as to its effects on accuracy yet as I'm still working on my hand loads for these two rounds (haven't shot factory rounds for decades). Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.