Overbore

flacracker

I know, I think, what overbore is, but why is it bad? No one seems to know an exact answer.

I am a beginner so don't hoot too much.
thanks

What's beautiful, when does ugly stop? As far as I am concerned, overbore is when you reach the point of diminishing returns. If 60 grains of a certain powder gives you 3,000fps and 89 grains, in a larger case gives you 3,050fps, then you have slightly more speed, and substantially less barrel life. Everybody may have their own personal yardstick of what is reasonable and practical, and it changes, depending on the application.

Good hunting. LB

I am absolutely not an expert, but this is what I thought I herd. That overbore is sometimes used to describe a case that has more capacity than bullet weight, I thought I heard that somewhere. But ther are some instances that overbore does work better than expected. The STW case is way over bore but somehow it works for it and produced very high velocities taking agvantage of its power charge. Now I think the Lazzeroni long maginum cartridge in 257 is larger case capacity than the STW but doesn not produce nearly as high velocities for its case size Based on ifo on their site.
I saw a wildcat book that showed a Picture of a 17/50BMG NOW THATS OVERBORE, but its so cool looking. Ask it over on Varmint Hunter

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.