Overall length of 28 nosler loaded with 180 or 195

Take this for what it's worth but after trying just about everything I finally started just loading everything to mag length, find a load that works well, then finally tweak on the OAL to get the best group possible.

It certainly seems like the shortest road I've found.

*Disclaimer, this assumes you don't have an extremely long magazine causing you to jam bullets deeply into the lands.

Take this for what it's worth but after trying just about everything I finally started just loading everything to mag length, find a load that works well, then finally tweak on the OAL to get the best group possible.

It certainly seems like the shortest road I've found.

*Disclaimer, this assumes you don't have an extremely long magazine causing you to jam bullets deeply into the lands.
My final load was 3.635" coal with 195s and fit the magazine. I've started loading mag length for ladder test too. There seem to be nodes at any length and any powder charge combo

My final load was 3.635" coal with 195s and fit the magazine. I've started loading mag length for ladder test too. There seem to be nodes at any length and any powder charge combo

If you want to try a shortcut just do this.

Pick three or four loads with about .3 grains increments.

Find your best 3 shot group which is acceptable.

Then tweak the seating depth to see if you can tighten it up.

We can burn up a lot of barrels looking for perfection the traditional way in high velocity super and ultra mag's paticularly since it grows more important the more overbore you go.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.