Over the counter tag state?

NM used to give out OTC Barbary sheep and Ibex tags to some rugged Mexican border units in the southern part of the state. Its what I refer to as cartel country, just be alert and know everybody will be armed.
Dont forget to smile and wave.
Mostly its just border patrol and then cartel dressed as border patrol.
Fun times.

It was really cool because there were month long tags and you could carry a tag for both species at the same time.
Where else can you get a OTC tag for African game in the USA.
If you find water you find game. We have seen desert mule deer and Javalina down there too.
2015 was the last year we did that.
+1 barbary sheep I'll look for the pics.

I've given up hunting in the USA now except for buying points each year for an elk in Wyoming (got 4 now). In California there are almost no ducks left, few deer (by drawing), no bear or cat hunting (plenty of each however), & no lead on varmints.
I now only go to Africa each year but over the last two years my IRA's have lost a ton with no income and I'm drawing down my principle. And, I'm still going to meet my PH at the SCI show in Nashville in Feb. to set up another Cape, Leopard, Kudu hunt for next July-August and my heirs will just have to party on their own money in the future (I'm 75 and I'll hunt as long as I can walk).

I've given up hunting in the USA now except for buying points each year for an elk in Wyoming (got 4 now). In California there are almost no ducks left, few deer (by drawing), no bear or cat hunting (plenty of each however), & no lead on varmints.
I now only go to Africa each year but over the last two years my IRA's have lost a ton with no income and I'm drawing down my principle. And, I'm still going to meet my PH at the SCI show in Nashville in Feb. to set up another Cape, Leopard, Kudu hunt for next July-August and my heirs will just have to party on their own money in the future (I'm 75 and I'll hunt as long as I can walk).

My hero ^^^

I am just a young pup at 70, I paid for my kids' education at Duke, Johns Hopkins, and George Washington U. Now that they both have their own careers going, I told them I will execute my die-broke-plan, but will have enough residual that wife and I will have decent funerals.

Last edited:
There's a draw, the Region 7 tag is pretty easy to get, I've never not drawn it when applying for it. There's antelope, typically you drive around, look for them with optics, find them, make sure they're in public/BMA, then go shoot them. What do you want to know? I think NR tags are line $300-ish.

those days are long gone, I'd guess that you've not been applying/hunting for some time.

Last year the 700 either sex tag had a 38% chance to draw, our group of 3 these days one of us will draw an either sex and doe tags 2.9% chance to draw. The 900 tags (archery) is an 81% chance to draw. Keep in mind, that up to but not to exceed 10% of the total tags can go to non res.

So it's no longer a slam dunk........

I do bow hunt so if that is my only option then I would do that. Just not sure where to start I've have never hunted them and usually do my own self guided hunts on public ground. I may have to look for a mentor or even do a self guided one through an outfitter?

curious here, you mention a "self guided one through and outfitter" what on earth is that?

I had a acquaintance tell me about a hunt he and and a couple friends did through an outfitter. It that sounds like they take them to their camp drop them off and pick them up in a week on some private ground. No guide assistance at all. He did say they saw some nice animals but waited for bigger and better and missed out completely.

I do bow hunt so if that is my only option then I would do that. Just not sure where to start I've have never hunted them and usually do my own self guided hunts on public ground. I may have to look for a mentor or even do a self guided one through an outfitter?
Something you need to be aware of also most of Colorado's antelope units are on the eastern plains and most of that is private land.

Something you need to be aware of also most of Colorado's antelope units are on the eastern plains and most of that is private land.
That is good to know. I will have to do some footwork this summer if I go that way. Would this be like in the Salida area or farther east?

Thanks

That is good to know. I will have to do some footwork this summer if I go that way. Would this be like in the Salida area or farther east?

Thanks
Dunno if you use OnX hunt maps but you can get which ever state you wish to research, it lists ALL land, private, BLM, State, Public Etc. It's an awesome tool...

Thanks
I would mention if drawing an antelope tag in WY, there is an area just north and west of Casper that has large swaths of public land. For residents it is area 73. I have access to private land in other areas, but still hunt this unit when I can draw a tag. I enjoy the challenge of public land hunting, and as 30378wbymag mentioned, use the On X hunt map. Happy hunting.

Recent Posts