Over the barrel suppressors

Ghostmoney

Why are over the barrel suppressors not very popular? I hardly see anyone talking about them or using them. Seem like a good option to keep the overall rifle length down.

Six to one, half dozen to the other. Supply and demand. Within the firearm shooting community, there is a small pool that chooses to suppress their weapons. From the pool of manufacturers, there is an even smaller number that produce over the barrel suppressors v. end barrel. In the game of suppressors, the bench mark is dB. Generally, over the barrel suppressors are ticks louder than their end barrel competitors. If you get any sound manipulation device below 134 dB (OSHA standard), then really it comes to preference (price, set-up and aesthetics). Why Remington v Savage? 6.5 Creedmor v 260? Variety is the spice of life. Either suppressed choice is better than ported barrels, or no modification at all, in my opinion. I guess in the end, it comes down to which is the most efficient way to suppress the report and noise pollution produced from the use of a firearm. My preference on a long rifle, is end barrel. I don't find the added length a hinderance in my shooting style and actually think the added weight helps. But, like most things in this realm, personal preference dictates what is best to the individual.

The only reason I don't own any cans is 1) money, 2) money, 3) money, and 4) cost of threading all of my rifles.

Had I anticipated the HPA being popular, and POSSIBLY passing congress (which it has yet to do thanks to the left and the gov't perpetuating all these horrendous false flag shootings) I would have had them threaded when I had them built. Which means i would have been WAY ahead of the game (for most of my rifles) for when it DOES pass (I see this in the distant future). But unfortunately, my clairvoyance at the time did not show me this.

i'd look for one if i owned a large caliber weapon, but not for my 308 or 6.5. i dont recall ever seeing one for sale though. out my group of gun friends, i'm the only one with a suppressor. like carl said, it's a small niche in the market.

Why worry if it's popular or not, if it serves your purpose, needs, or wants, I say go for it and have fun with it.
Because I would like to know if there is a big reason I shouldn't have one as one of my next suppressors. I am currently running a elite iron 338 suppressor that doesn't seem to be too popular, but only reason I could find was due to the weight.
Looks like the largest barrel they can fit over is .95 and are a quite a few Db louder than end of barrel. Amtac vs elite iron 7.62 cal shows it as 12db less suppression.

The only reason I don't own any cans is 1) money, 2) money, 3) money, and 4) cost of threading all of my rifles.

Had I anticipated the HPA being popular, and POSSIBLY passing congress (which it has yet to do thanks to the left and the gov't perpetuating all these horrendous false flag shootings) I would have had them threaded when I had them built. Which means i would have been WAY ahead of the game (for most of my rifles) for when it DOES pass (I see this in the distant future). But unfortunately, my clairvoyance at the time did not show me this.

Idk, my uncle told me I was crazy and waisting my money 2 years ago when I filed my form...

Edited for typo that completely changed meaning

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk, my uncle told me I was crazy and waiting my2 years ago when I filed my form...

2 years? i filed in february of 13 (right after sandy hook during the panic) and it only took a year to get my can

2 years? i filed in february of 13 (right after sandy hook during the panic) and it only took a year to get my can

Sorry for confusion, I meant 2 years ago he laughed at me for wasting my money because the HPA would be passed before my form would be approved...

I sent him a picture of my tax stamp quite a while ago.

haha, gotcha.

i've heard the argument that you shouldnt wait on the HPA. b/c once it passes, there's going to be a rush on suppressors and you wont be able to find them. then the price will likely go up once you dont have to pay for the stamp. it's absurd that you cannot walk into a gun store and buy one. i have never been arrested, no criminal record, i should be able to buy what i **** well please

haha, gotcha.

i've heard the argument that you shouldnt wait on the HPA. b/c once it passes, there's going to be a rush on suppressors and you wont be able to find them. then the price will likely go up once you dont have to pay for the stamp. it's absurd that you cannot walk into a gun store and buy one. i have never been arrested, no criminal record, i should be able to buy what i **** well please
Same here. Clean background, held my CCW since i was 21 (FBI background check, same as for NFA items)... Why in the hell do I need to wait nearly a year for something I ALREADY know that I can own?

Another stupid law is the SBR law... A 10.5" AR-15 is still HUGE, and nearly impossible to conceal. But yet, you can go buy a handgun, walk out the door, stuff it in your pants concealed, and take it home immediately... I'm not saying that they should restrict handguns, just saying that when you compare that 85% of shootings and crimes happen with handguns, versus less than 10% with rifles, it's just a stupid law to restrict barrel length on any weapon. Hell, even a 7" AR15 pistol is huge comparatively.

Same here. Clean background, held my CCW since i was 21 (FBI background check, same as for NFA items)... Why in the hell do I need to wait nearly a year for something I ALREADY know that I can own?

Another stupid law is the SBR law... A 10.5" AR-15 is still HUGE, and nearly impossible to conceal. But yet, you can go buy a handgun, walk out the door, stuff it in your pants concealed, and take it home immediately... I'm not saying that they should restrict handguns, just saying that when you compare that 85% of shootings and crimes happen with handguns, versus less than 10% with rifles, it's just a stupid law to restrict barrel length on any weapon. Hell, even a 7" AR15 pistol is huge comparatively.

In NC we have to have a permit for handguns from the sheriff if you don't have a ccw... Lots of people think that was a great idea until you remind them That was done to prevent black people from legally obtaining firearms during Jim Crow.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.