Over pressure? but i don't understand this!

Been pulling 13 hour shifts for the past two weeks

NORMALLY the label faces me and the 107's always stay on top.

Your not dumb. Your hurrying and tired.

I have 6 kids counting my wife. And a small business. I was hurring when i accidentally got the pistol primers mixed up in the RUM loads. When things dont equal close to the expected then something is input into the equasion wrong. Took me a while to find i had a pack of primers that where like a chameleon because the pack looked the same and they Fit. I dont even remember buying them. They let the load blowtorch a hole through the primer into the bolt face. But i still have my face and you have yours so were both lucky.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad we didn't have to chalk this one up to voodoo and also glad your rifle is as strong as it is. I have seen people get hurt like that before and it ain't pretty. In fact, watched a guy plasma spray the end of his thumb off at a range once when his barrel split open. We looked all over for it but no luck. I HATE doing stuff like that!
I will also admit to doing nearly the exact same thing when I loaded a 250gr. bullet in my .338 WM using 210gr. data. Only shot 1 of five but it put the fear in me!
Anyway, glad it worked out ok and you didn't get hurt... but, dang, don't you feel a bit wiser now?!! I'm betting you'll never do it again!
Cheers,
crkckr

WOW! I am glad you did not loose body parts to flying pieces of rifle. Live and learn. DOUBLE CHECK EVERTHING. I learned this lesson in time to save me once. I had been loading a bunch of 38 Special pistol ammo using Bullseye powder. I had left the powder in my RCBS powder dumper about 3 days before I got back to loading more ammo. I then switched over to loading some MAX loads with 200 gr Hornady XTPs for my 45 ACP which uses 7 grs UNIQUE. Not paying attention I just set up the powder dumper to dump 7 grs. thinking UNIQUE but having BULLSEYE powder still in the dumper. After I had put the powder into 50 cases I just happened to look over on the loading table and see the can of BULLSEYE sitting there and it dawned on me what I had done. 7 gr of BULLSEYE under a 200 gr jacketed bullet in the 45 ACP would probably have broken things pretty good.

In nearly 50 years of reloading, this one takes the cake.

I was just to tired to have been sitting down to my reloading bench. I remember nodding off even though I had just gotten up an hour earlier. Real bad decision to be reloading.

Them long hours are why some calibers i just buy ammo for now....not enough time to load everything especial when im pickey. And then I feel guilty ditching the family for the loading bench.

Been pulling 13 hour shifts for the past two weeks so I don't get much time when I get home...hitting the sack at 11pm and bouncing back up at 3:45am....

Getting late...wife has already reminded me it was getting late.

mystery solved...I loaded 140gr bullets where 107gr were supposed to be.

But didn't read the label on the box once!:eek::(:(:(

Sounds like you need a stay at a "Holiday Inn Express" before your next season at the loading bench... Just kidding.

I found long ago that it just isn't worth it, to try to load tired or rushed. It is far to easy to be inconsistent or make mistakes. I always perform all my handloading tasks, including brass preparation, while rested, relaxed and with plenty of time. Rushing loading will cause errors as well.

One other point: only have the exact components and equipment needed for the load you are working with, on your loading table. Other weight, type or brand bullets, primers, powders or even different brass lots, have no business on the loading table at that time. Following this simple procedure could save you a lot of grief and time, maybe even a few body parts!

Glad you got it figured out and no harm done! On a side note, that's some great velocity with 140's out of that Grendel!

I've made my share of boneheaded mistakes having taught myself everything I know about reloading. I figured out some tips and trick to help try to avoid them now. A few things I found that helps, is that I always keep my bullets, powder, primers, and stuff off the bench until I get ready to load. The only thing that stays on my bench 24/7 is my press, die sets, tools, and chargemaster 1500. That way when I have to go pick up the box of bullets I check to be sure I'm grabbing the right box. Also, why I never leave any powder in my dispensers, and always empty them back into the jug when done loading. That way nothing ever gets mixed up. But, then again, I never rush my loading process, and I don't have a family, so I can afford to take my time.

Glad you got it figured out and no harm done! On a side note, that's some great velocity with 140's out of that Grendel!

LOL...I told a shooting buddy that yesterday!

I finished pulling bullets and weighing out the powder charges...I had 21 to pull, out of that only three were not exactly what was spooked to be in the case. Of those three, all were .1 short and all got 107's this time.

Another positive was neck tension was all very similar. For some reason I found two hand load 6.5 creedmoor while at the range the other day. Papered to be from the same guy. One bullet pulled out easy, the other was very tight...maybe they were all over the target so the shooter pitched those to. Lol...

You can bet your bottom dollar this will never happen again! Mud is dead on...only one of each item on the work bench at a time!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.