Outfitter recommendations

Matchbook454

Can any of you guys recommend any good outfitters for Antelope and/or Mule Deer? Hoping to find one with good reviews that is also long range friendly as many are not. I did look at some of the ones listed in the outfitter profiles here.

Hunted with no, I've known Eric and his wife for a long time good people with good leases.

Worked for Jeff @ 7-J quite a few moons ago back when I was guiding. (I guided in Montana, Wyo and Sonora)

I've personally hunted with Trophy Ridge Outfitters "Gillette Wyoming"as well a Sweetwater outfitters "Casper Wyoming" and had great experiences with both. My pick of the two would be Sweetwater outfitters, the owner Ray Dennis is a very nice nice guy with great "PRIVATE" leases for antelope hunting. My father and I both tagged out on combo mule deer and antelope hunts last year. I was able to take my mule deer buck at 500 yards and my dad took his buck at 430 yards. I guess it depends on your definition of "long range" but Ray told us both if we felt confident and comfortable with the shot then by all means take it. As for our antelope my buck was taken at 360 yards while my dads was taken at 225. Hope this is helpful! If you have any additional questions feel free to pm me.

I've personally hunted with Trophy Ridge Outfitters "Gillette Wyoming"as well a Sweetwater outfitters "Casper Wyoming" and had great experiences with both. My pick of the two would be Sweetwater outfitters, the owner Ray Dennis is a very nice nice guy with great "PRIVATE" leases for antelope hunting. My father and I both tagged out on combo mule deer and antelope hunts last year. I was able to take my mule deer buck at 500 yards and my dad took his buck at 430 yards. I guess it depends on your definition of "long range" but Ray told us both if we felt confident and comfortable with the shot then by all means take it. As for our antelope my buck was taken at 360 yards while my dads was taken at 225. Hope this is helpful! If you have any additional questions feel free to pm me.
Thanks for the info. Sent you a message.

I would recommend Tangle Ridge Outfitters. Brent and Becky are great. Family owned. I know Brent has done some long range shooting. They have a couple good antelope areas they hunt.

I believe in them enough that I am planning an elk hunt with them this fall provided I draw the tag..

I hunted with 7j and it was a very enjoyable hunt, nice lodging, very friendly and food was the best!!! I didn't get the biggest antilope but it was 13". They said they had a major winter kill off the year before!!! Everyone in camp killed antilope, but one person but he ran out of shells!!! There were 2 mule deer hunters and they raged 2 nice mule deer and a 15" antilope. I highly recommend!!! Also will go back!!!

Trophy Mountain Outfitters in WY. Check Dustin's site for speed goats. I hunt them on my own (20 so far) but Dustin did guide me to a B&C Bighorn after 17 years of applications.

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 5.20.55 PM (1).jpg

Last edited:
Well, this really sucks. I really want to book with an outfitter as I've found one that I really like however seeing how most will not refund deposits unless a tag was not drawn makes me a little nervous due to the state of the world right now regarding Covid-19. Although I'm still working as our business was deemed essential, we have had issues arise which cause concern for our future. We've just found out that we had an employee test positive and that the company tried to hide this from employees. His manager flat out lied to me about this person coming in contact with someone who may have had tested positive (his mother who lives with him and his family). This was announced to us Thursday and Friday we had half of our 60+ employees stay home out of fear for their health as well as retaliation for how this was handled. As a manager I am fighting the owner right now as I (along with most of the company) do not feel this was handled properly. The persons manager who has tested positive happens to be the #2 man in the company and unfortunately a lying piece of ****. He is part of the 3 man Covid planning team which is a joke as both him and the owner are not taking this seriously and are more worried about production and $$ than employees. He even stated that he didn't care if he got it, his wife, or his kids and of one of them died it was just their time. That's fine for him. Maybe he will see one of them suffer and die and it'll change his views. That point of view clearly shows that he does not have the sense to make decisions regarding other people's health. I may end up doing a diy hunt next year or if everything settles down and I don't end up quitting or getting myself fired I may be able to book a last minute hunt and hopefully with the Outfitter of my choice. Sorry for the rant. Life sure sucks right now.

Already lots of recommendations but to those commenting on refunds; I would suggest you call the outfitter direct. Many have not updated their refund policy on their websites to reflect Covid issues. While it is possible there is the odd outfitter that won't offer reasonable accommodation on refunds for newly booked trips, my bet is that with bookings off at least 60% and air travel off over 85%, most will. What will be truly interesting is to see how they will handle existing trips that need to be cancelled, I know a lot of Spring Bear trips are on the block due to travel and other restrictions. How Outfitters handle these kinds of cancellations will say a great deal about their world views.

Already lots of recommendations but to those commenting on refunds; I would suggest you call the outfitter direct. Many have not updated their refund policy on their websites to reflect Covid issues. While it is possible there is the odd outfitter that won't offer reasonable accommodation on refunds for newly booked trips, my bet is that with bookings off at least 60% and air travel off over 85%, most will. What will be truly interesting is to see how they will handle existing trips that need to be cancelled, I know a lot of Spring Bear trips are on the block due to travel and other restrictions. How Outfitters handle these kinds of cancellations will say a great deal about their world views.
I did inquire with this outfitter 3 weeks ago and was told that they would hold the deposit for the following season. That's better than nothing however in the even that my wife, children, or I happen to get Covid and there are issues with medical bills, extended time off of work, etc. I would want a refund. Just too many unknowns at this point. I guess I will wait a month or so and contact this outfitter again and see if they can offer a better solution. If not, then I can start inquiring with other outfitters. There were a few that I was interested in so thats good. I have some options.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.