Outfitter Elk hunt - Clothing question

Jammer65

I am booked for and am putting together my gear for a 6 day elk hunt with an outfitter in Wyoming next year. It is to be a remote base camp that we ride (horseback) into, and then hunt out of for 6 days. I am told it is standard procedure for the outfitter to put a max weight for each hunter's gear hauled to camp. I dont yet know what that is for my outfitter, but am working on that assumption. With that in mind, I am working out my gear needs. I have my jacket, layers/insulation, rain gear nailed down as a must have for that country at that time of year.

My primary question is how many changes of base layers, pants, shirts and such should I take as a minimum for a 6 day hunt? Intuitively, I am thinking at least 2, of not 3 changes. Thinking I should be able to wash some up in a stream and let dry by day weather permitting. I assume I will want a change or two of camp clothes. Should a single pair of boots be sufficient?

Also will need to buy a sleeping bag. What kind of rating is best for a mid to late October hunt in Wyoming?

This is a bucket list hunt for me and I want to get this stuff right. This is my first outfitter hunt and serious elk hunt.

Thanks,

Last edited:
You are right on track with your thinking. On a six day hunt I change about twice, but rotate socks every day. One pair of boots is sufficient, but keep in mind to air them out well at night.

I also wipe down with baby wipes every night too to keep certain areas from chaffing and to remove some of the stink. Lol. I also bring a pair of camp shoes and a change of clothes for the camp, which can be the clothes you ride in on.

Good luck on your wilderness hunt. I have done quite a few of these in Wyoming and they certainly can be a challenge,but is an adventure you will never forget.

I take one extra base layer shirt and wear one on the ride in. I take 3 pairs of underwear and a set of long johns. Socks, 3 pair in addition to what I wear riding in. That time of year can be cold and snowy so I'd suggest a good -10 rating sleeping bag. Down works well. Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering are 2 of the best. It also helps to have a 'stocking' hat to wear while sleeping. Keeps heat in. Typically you should limit your gear to 50 lbs., excluding rifle.

Have you actually booked yet? Anyways yes your guide will put a limit both in weight and size of bags you will be allowed to take. Usually it's 1 bag 50 pounds and usually under 30". Each guide will have its own restrictions so you should reach out to ask.
As for the winter October is the hardest to plan for. It most likely will be fairly warm during the day and chilly in the morning and evening. I'd plan for two light layers and two mid layers with one heavy. Then based of what the forecast is calling for make your final decision as you pack. A quality heavy outer layer usually is all I need with a light to mid layer under. Everyone has their own cold tolerance though.

Yes, I am booked for 2022. I am well versed in the layering. My major question was how many changes of clothes are normally taken given those restrictions.

I am booked for and am putting together my gear for a 6 day elk hunt with an outfitter in Wyoming next year. It is to be a remote base camp that we ride (horseback) into, and then hunt out of for 6 days. I am told it is standard procedure for the outfitter to put a max weight for each hunter's gear hauled to camp. I dont yet know what that is for my outfitter, but am working on that assumption. With that in mind, I am working out my gear needs. I have my jacket, layers/insulation, rain gear nailed down as a must have for that country at that time of year.

My primary question is how many changes of base layers, pants, shirts and such should I take as a minimum for a 6 day hunt? Intuitively, I am thinking at least 2, of not 3 changes. Thinking I should be able to wash some up in a stream and let dry by day weather permitting. I assume I will want a change or two of camp clothes. Should a single pair of boots be sufficient?

Also will need to buy a sleeping bag. What kind of rating is best for a mid to late October hunt in Wyoming?

This is a bucket list hunt for me and I want to get this stuff right. This is my first outfitter hunt and serious elk hunt.

Thanks,
How long is the ride to camp? If more than 1 hour I would highly recommend wearing a pair of longjohns under a pair of sweat pants for the ride if you aren't a seasoned rider. Way less chance of chaffing or blistering. And you have your evening attire already on!

Make sure your first layer is merino wool. #1 comfort #2 it cuts down on smell...In WY, your season could be sept thru nov, so try to give us a timeline of when and where? Merino wool is so nice, so dont scrimp there...2 changes of that does not take up much room or weight. 3 pairs of good wool boot socks, along with good boots ie Crispy, Kenetrek, etc...Midlayer is your choice. Can be really chilly on a horse before sunup. A good duster to harvest the heat from the horse in the mornings and can be tied onto the saddle when not in use. I Use a pair of light weight chaps made from Cordura nylon when on a horse, they are great for reducing chaffing, keeping you dry from the morning frost and add warmth when on the horse.

I would want a second pair of boots and swap them out each day. 2 pair of boxers and long johns, all merino wool, for warm days or cold days, 2 changes of hunting clothes, one do all jacket and a hooded puffy. Wool beanie for sleeping and adding under another hat for warmth. 4 pair of socks(merino), I like fresh socks everyday. When you have 3 dirty pairs wash them that night and hang to dry. Gloves, lightweight and medium weight.

2 pair of boots. If you get crap weather your feet are the one thing you need to be comfortable. The base layer gig is usually 1 for me and I change out socks and underwear daily. All my stuff is now ultra light higher performance and expensive but well worth every dime I invested in it.

Recent Posts