Outer wear and under layers for elk hunt

valleysnyper

Guys, collecting gear for a late season colorado elk hunt next October. I have no experience with this, but have been told two things wear wool and keep it light. These seem to contradict each other, I was planning on getting some first light merino wool long underwear but am unsure of what outerwear to purchase
Any help for this newbie would be appreciated...Gary

for the last 3 years I have been down to a tee shirt in October 2nd rifle season in clark colorado. this year I did a windshear water fowl sweater from cabelas with a windshear camo vest. and only had them on for first 2 hours in morning and and last hour before dark will sitting. hardest thing for me is to take it off when I get out of truck to do my 1 mile trek into woods. I am also wearing an orange ball cap will hiking in so I don't sweat so much . I think maybe 2 days I did use hand warmers and usually just put 1 on the backside of my neck. Hard to figure out could be warm could be cold. hardest for me not to over heat and sweat usually to late when you figure it out.

Thanks we we wi
Ll be in camp at 10000 ft for about week and half and need to pack everything in. That's why I am torn on what to do, I know wool is warm but can also be heavy. Temp I'm told can be from about 20-70 degrees.guess I'll have to do some more research

I like a lighter comfortable long sleeve shirt. Then layer with a couple different weights of merino wool. Carry a down puffy and a quality water, wind proof jacket (not insulated). Then try to add or remove to remain comfortable but keep from sweating. I usually move most of the time with short halts to glass. Don't know if this helps you but it works for me.

Layers my friend! I hunt and live in Colorado and use the first lite system. Merino bade layers and synthetic top layers, puffy and rain gear. Add or subtract for the conditions.

I like a lighter comfortable long sleeve shirt. Then layer with a couple different weights of merino wool. Carry a down puffy and a quality water, wind proof jacket (not insulated). Then try to add or remove to remain comfortable but keep from sweating. I usually move most of the time with short halts to glass. Don't know if this helps you but it works for me.

Ok my set up is similar. Almost 20 years in second season.

Long sleeve blaze orange from game hide. I have two or three.
Cartharts if its really dry but usually I wear uninsulated water proof/resistant that are camo. I then wear a very light compression morning underneath if it is in the 20-30 range and legit long under wear under top and bottom of there is weather or wind or in trudging on my horse for awhile.

I like the morino will but I don't buy it and generally but the synthetics.

For our warmth I use a waterproof jacket and a reversible camo vest. I also have a blaze orange heavy hooded jacket for riding the horse.

Lastly,I will bring extra socks, gloves and long under wear to change into if I get too cool or wet. They go into my pack in one gallon zip lock. Or on my horse depending.

I think I have the right idea about the merino wool longies, good idea about putting stuff in gallon zip loks. Never gave that a thought. Not much need for that hunting whitetails in Wisconsin. ...lol

Anyone have any experience with predator camo ??
I bought a few pieces of kuiu but even the 3x is tight a crossed the shoulders so I'm looking for something else. I like the looks of the predator fleece camo, but it may be too heavy for elk hunting

This is what works for me. I adjust it to hunt from archery season through the 4th rifle season in CO. Took me about 5 years of experimenting to get my gear the way I want it.

My system:
UA boxers
Wool socks
UA 2.0 baselayer
T-shirt
Long sleeve button shirt
Fleece 1/4 zip
Cabelas instinct backcountry puffy
Cabelas instinct glassing pants
Cabelas instinct soft shell
Outdoor research fleece gloves
UA beanie blaze orange
Ball cap blaze orange
UA blaze vest.
Zamberlin boots
I'll add a second fleece and a heavier pair of gloves if it's real cold.

Elkeater, thanks. That's what I am looking for
I was hoping to get one set that would cover Elk and Whitetails, looks like I'm barking up the wrong tree. Light Elk hunting clothes seem to be too noisy for whitetails

Like I said its what works for me. Plenty of guys get by with less. I grew up hunting whitetails in MI and I still have all my heavy cold weather gear from back then but I'll always opt for the lighter weight synthetics out here. That system I put above is lightweight and pretty warm. I don't tend to sit for long periods of time unless I'm glassing. But then I'm trying to tuck up under some rocks or trees or a mountain tarp for comfort.

I have preferred polyester base layers for decades of XC ski racing, backcountry skiing/winter camping and hunting. Wool feels dry when damp with sweat but it actually transports less moisture (holds a lot more) than polyester.

Wool/synthetic blends are a better choice than pure wool and often you will find 80% wool and 20% synthetic (polyester or nylon) blends. Plus moths totally avoid wool blend garments. Smart, those moths.

BOOTS: For the shoulder seasons of fall and spring I wear Gore-Tex lined boots with a Vapor Barrier Lining (VBL) of 3 mm closed cell neoprene diver's sox (I prefer US Divers brand) over a pair of thin polyester or polypropylene liner socks.

**This VBL setup gives you good insulation from the closed cell neoprene and keeps your boot insides dry and much warmer. You will need a new pair of liner socks for each day and you have to turn the VBL sox inside-out at the end of each day to allow them to dry, either in a heated cabin or in the bottom of your sleeping bag. They will be nice and warm in the morning.
Combined with knee-high GTX lined gaiters you will have warm feet down to 10 F. while on the move and you can be on a stand for up to 45 minutes before the cold begins to seep in. BTW, gaiters give your feet at least another 20 F. degrees of warmth. For cold mornings and warmer days this combo has worked very well for me for years.

Also I highly recommend these divers sox VBLs for keeping your felt pac liners dry and warm all say. Felt pac liners are very difficult to dry once they get saturated with sweat.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.