Outdoorsman Tripod with ANVIL-30 head - good combo?

safeskies

I definitely want the ANVIL-30 ball head for glassing and shooting. I'm specifically asking if anyone has used this with the Outdoorsman tripod and if they would recommend the combo or have any reservations about it? Is there anything about the Outdoorsman, deployability or whatnot, that would make it less than ideal to shoot off. I live near the Outdoorsman store, so it would be a convenient place to buy one, they are a bit lighter than the RRR TFCT tripods, and I've always heard they are rock solid.

I have tried that combo, using the tall aluminum Outdoorsman's tripod. I also used a RRS BH30 with the Outdoorsman's. I love their leg locks, and it works fine for glassing with mid weight glass (85mm STX and such) but it has too much "bounce" to shoot off of. They just released a carbon fiber version of their tripod, it looks very nice, and the CF should cure the stability issues. The problem is that it's RRS Ascend money. The RRS Ascend L14 can go from bipod low to stand up height in a few seconds by removing the center post extension, it looks like the outdoorsman's has a fixed length center post. If your close to the store it would be great to hear a firsthand report on the new CF tripod.

I did not realize the Outdoorsman was putting out a Gen 2 carbon tripod. I looked it up and it looks comparable to the Ascend but with lever locks instead of twist-locks. I'm pretty interested it that. I was just at the Outdoorsman and they didn't have the new one on display, but they were a bit slim on items due to taking stuff to that expo. I'll have to go check it out later. It seems like the ideal setup will be the Anvil-30 head on either an Ascend or Outdoorsman Gen2 tripod. I'm leaning Outdoorsman at this point simply because I prefer the lever locks, but hopefully some reviews will come out in the coming months.