outdoor life optics review?

No doubt about that "Nikon knows glass".

As a life long photography nut, Nikon lenses have always offered some of the finest lenses of any system available and why they were and are the choice of many pros.

I am not saying that a Nikon scope is in the same league was the S&B, IOR, US Optics, NightForce, Zeiss, etc. but their glass is good as any and better than most, if they want it to be so. They have the expertise to make outstanding optics.

If Nikon wanted to flex their power (or any of the large, high quality Asian optics manufacturers), the small companies would be hard pressed to compete. Niche markets allow the smaller guys to carve out areas and offer unique, specific use items to those that can afford and will pay to get. Like anything though, if a large corporation sees a perceived market, they will attack it and try to own it.

I just can't see Nikon ever trying to take over the tactical high end market, but who knows. It just does seem to meet their market models from what I have seen from them.

Wouldn't surprise me that the Nikon might transmit more light. And if the Nikon came with all the other features the NXS has, we all might be using Nikon's. I've performed some side by side scope comparisons in the past and rated some lower priced scopes higher in light transmission than my more expensive IORs and at the time, a Leupold LPS. If light transmission had been the sole determining factor, I would have sold my more expensive scopes for the lower cost ones, but I'm still using my 3-18x IORs and a Zeiss.

I've looked through some Nikon scopes and binoculars and been favorably impressed with the optics, especially considering their moderate cost.

Far be it for a magazine to "skew" their reviews or ratings in favor of a company spending the bucks with them as well. ;) Likely that S&B and Nightforce don't advertise or likely not as heavilly as the scopes that were rated higher.

Glass

Good points by all.
Also I noticed that alot of store fronts really push the scopes that

1. they know they can sell, do to price point and quality.
2. Advertising - perks to the stores managers etc. Leupold is renown for this.

I heard told here recently that alot of the glass in leupold scopes are from Japan/Asia etc?

Anybody heard that one?

best to all

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts