outdoor hobbies besides shooting

Well, I'll do almost any outdoor activity but hobby wise, to me means a certain level of dedication or commitment. It may be passing only a couple years or recurring as in going back to it.

Falconry
Radio Control gliders/planes

Of course, walking, light hiking, working the dog.

Outdoor photography.

Scenic and wildlife. The wildlife type is very similar to hunting.

Here is my photo website: Home - LenBackus.com

_E2X8408PS.jpg

displayimage.php

DSC_3841_20x30.jpg

_D2X7598_20x30UPLOAD.jpg

blue-winged-teal.jpg

DSC_0704prntprnt.jpg
Very nice Len, I am considering this as a hobby myself. I think it would be just as rewarding as using a rifle. Every time I think of getting into it, I buy a rifle with my camera money. HAHA...

Saltwater fishing, crabbing, cooking, and the wife and I like birding as well. That way we basically hunt every day. It's nothing for us to spot some strange bird and go plowing through the brush or wade ino a salt marsh stalking the little feller. But come fall we like to shoot the legal one's.

Another hobby of mine is sampling good whiskey. I'm planning on retiring in another year and hopefully I can get into drinking professionally. :D

I enjoy kayaking the local rivers and lakes. Mainly just when the weather is awesome. Other than that, I burn wood for heat, and I enjoy tinkering with my chainsaws, so I spend a lot of time cutting and splitting wood.

Besides shooting, and hunting a second best is being on my horse with my partner (my Dad) beside me suits me just fine ,and good camp with a cold beer also does the trick.

I enjoy kayaking the local rivers and lakes. Mainly just when the weather is awesome. Other than that, I burn wood for heat, and I enjoy tinkering with my chainsaws, so I spend a lot of time cutting and splitting wood.

If you enjoy cutting and splitting wood you can come to my house, I have about 100 cord's of dead and down that need cleaned up on my new property.

Len, those are some great photos. I am not a photographer but it is an art I truly admire.

I grew up farming and while I don't do it as a job anymore I can't shake wanting to get in the dirt. I have 3 gardens, an orchard of about 25 trees, 113 black raspberry bushes, smaller numbers of red raspberries and blackberries, and a 99 vine vineyard. I make wine which has been pretty successful in competitions.

I am converting 10 of my 15 acres of land to deer habitat. 800 trees going in over the next 2 weeks, planting corn and soybeans as feed.

Hunting is only an excuse to get outdoors for me. I've hunted very low success units...I beat the odds...but even when I don't I come home refreshed just spending my time in the wild.

Camping & the related activities. We started with ATV's, built a hopped up sport quad, then bought a big 4x4 (old man style) ATV & now i'm on to Side by Sides. Both my 4-wheelers sit in a shed & collect dust now, haven't fired the sport quad in years, the 4x4 hasn't been started in nearly a year. The Ranger gets all the love now.

Ole Reliable, this poor KingQuad has been rolled over backwards more times than I care to share; she can still kick some *** though. 2in lift/27" Swamp Fox tires/Winch/Powder coated rims & bumper. Sheep Mountain lookout: Big Horn Mountains

Sheep Mountain Lookout North View.jpg

The Ranger is mine, July 4th, Big Horn Mountains. I've been pumping a lot of $$ into this lately adding "cool" stuff. Latest install was a full stereo system including amplifier.

July 4th Camping 2014 (4).jpg

I can't remember which reservoir this is, Big Horn Mountains. I run a GoPro on the dash when riding, it's makes for some interesting videos.

Camping 06-2013 (50).jpg

t

Hunting pigs with dogs is what we do for fun when we aren't shooting. We just killed this guy this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 55
Here are a few of the more fun hobbies I have.

• Photography
  • Fishing
  • Hiking
The best hiking trip was to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up the next morning. Well at least the plan was to come back up the next day. There was a huge storm that rolled through the canyon when we were 2 miles from the top. So we decided because of all the lightning we would just hang out at one of the shelters for the night and finish the following morning.

Jim

Something that hasn't been mentioned that I'm just starting to dabble in is gold prospecting. So far I haven't found any gold but I sure have had fun trying! It gets me out there in the mountains with moderate exercise.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.