Outdoor Chest Freezer?

ivanjunge

I don't have much space to work with and need to get a chest freezer. I want to put it outside right up against the house. There's an overhang so it will be protected from rain, snow and direct sunlight.

I live in Colorado and I am worried about the winter effecting the freezer. I hear newer freezers can't handle winter temperatures.

I was thinking about putting a wooden top on it to make it into a table anyway. What do you guys think about wrapping insulation around the freezer and then holding it all together with some wood wrapped around that?

I don't have much space to work with and need to get a chest freezer. I want to put it outside right up against the house. There's an overhang so it will be protected from rain, snow and direct sunlight.

I live in Colorado and I am worried about the winter effecting the freezer. I hear newer freezers can't handle winter temperatures.

I was thinking about putting a wooden top on it to make it into a table anyway. What do you guys think about wrapping insulation around the freezer and then holding it all together with some wood wrapped around that?

We have an old chest type freezer we give 70.00 for on Florence about 6 yrs ago. This past winter when it was -17f here for several nights it got down to zero in my garage but the ol freezer kept on running. Maty I suggest you put your freezer indoors somewhere. Even a garage or shed. Most times my beer fridge and freezer keep the garage halfway warm in winter. But not at -17.

Good luck.

I have had a chest freezer in my unheated garage for 10 years and even at -30 below it still has not given up the ghost it just don't run when its colder that the thermostat setting in the freezer. Have to check with retailer about new freezer and if they work in cold climates outside.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.