out smarted ourselves?

bogger01

hey guys.i was sitting here thinking and i have a question that maybe some of you have an opinion on.have we gone too far with the science and mathmatics in regards of hunting and shooting and made it overwhelming to someone new that wants to get into the sport or are the advancements helping take more animals and hitting more targets.also,is all of this knowledge encouraging a new shooter to take longer shots on game animals that he doesn't have the skill to make a clean shot on because because of inexeperiance but he used a ballistic calculator with a velocity input off of the box of ammo,shooting his dads old 30-06 that is worn out and inaccurate and because he read on the internet that the 30-06 is a "1000" yard rifle so its ok to take that long shot?i'd love to hear your thoughts.

marty​

hey guys.i was sitting here thinking and i have a question that maybe some of you have an opinion on.have we gone too far with the science and mathmatics in regards of hunting and shooting and made it overwhelming to someone new that wants to get into the sport or are the advancements helping take more animals and hitting more targets.also,is all of this knowledge encouraging a new shooter to take longer shots on game animals that he doesn't have the skill to make a clean shot on because because of inexeperiance but he used a ballistic calculator with a velocity input off of the box of ammo,shooting his dads old 30-06 that is worn out and inaccurate and because he read on the internet that the 30-06 is a "1000" yard rifle so its ok to take that long shot?i'd love to hear your thoughts.

marty​

I am a person that resist change, but the technology has definitely made the whole process better.

Better bullets, powder,barrels,scopes and many more improvements have reduced the game loss
by huge numbers and made most shooters more aware of the entire process.

There will always be those that will take questionable shots for there ability, and in the end ABILITY
is what makes a Long Range hunter/shooter.

Most of the people that are not accuracy and performance minded will try an iffy shot, and when
they miss most will ether go back to what they were doing (Making shorter shots, or lying about
the distance they shot) or set about improving there skills and componants.

The only downside to the improvements in technology that I see, is it seems to give people the
idea that it can make up for practice and skill. I saw/see this in Bow hunting also.

Technology must be helping, because cleaner kills,longer shots and record scores are being broken
all the time.

Just my thoughts

J E CUSTOM

Its like the game of golf ( I use this as an example cause I suck at it). You have all the technology and advanced equipment out there but unless you practice, practice & practice, it all means zilch.

I for one am glad we have advanced to smokeless powders and rilfe scopes. Imangine shooting the old way.

I am a person that resist change, but the technology has definitely made the whole process better.

Better bullets, powder,barrels,scopes and many more improvements have reduced the game loss
by huge numbers and made most shooters more aware of the entire process.

There will always be those that will take questionable shots for there ability, and in the end ABILITY
is what makes a Long Range hunter/shooter.

Most of the people that are not accuracy and performance minded will try an iffy shot, and when
they miss most will ether go back to what they were doing (Making shorter shots, or lying about
the distance they shot) or set about improving there skills and componants.

The only downside to the improvements in technology that I see, is it seems to give people the
idea that it can make up for practice and skill. I saw/see this in Bow hunting also.

Technology must be helping, because cleaner kills,longer shots and record scores are being broken
all the time.

Just my thoughts

J E CUSTOM
I agree 100%, My personal feelings are that, there is no shortcut and trying to take a short cut increases the odds that your going to miss something vital that you need to develop. Use what you already have, learn to wring every last bit out of it the hard way, then work on the next skill set until the only place you have left to go is a step up in technology and on paper performance. Meanwhile keeping the original system in tact and in use.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.