Out of the loop... 7mm bullet choice still suffering?

JakeC

As far as I can tell the situation for 7mm pills isn't much better than it was, still extremely slow to get back on the shelves, is that correct? I've been away from my rifle for a year now, took a deep dive into bowhunting, but I drew a pretty good deer tag and need to get shooting again. There's also a very high likelihood of a spike/cow hunt on the same unit. My problem is ranges on the unit can be high, high enough that I need to practice a bunch and I'm not sure I have quite enough 168 Accubond LR to get as good as I need to be. I have about 100 more 180ELDMs but I'm seeing some mixed messages about their performance. Granted every bullet has that on one end or the other. What are people's feelings about these two?

Is anyone getting any Nosler 7mm bullets anywhere?

For the record I'm shooting a SAUM with h4831sc. 168 is right around 2800, 180 is around 2650. I'll chronograph them in the next couple weeks.

I would absolutely try hammers but between bowhunting prep and needing to procure a different powder and just not having the reloading talent yet I don't think that's going to happen. Anyone in Utah have experience I can rent?

Nosler has been about as bad as Sierra. You may look at the 140 Berger they have been available. I've been able to find 168 Berger's at my lgs. I also have 3 different 284 cals so I run the 168 Berger's and 131 hammers in my stw. 169 hammers, 190 matrix, 190 Berger's in my 7 max, and the 28 nosler runs 154 hammers. I would check shooters pro shop if your looking for noslers.

The hammer hunters are not difficult to reload for. In fact, I've found three sub 1/2 moa loads in 15 rounds or less. One required only nine for a .206" group. Plenty of load data available below and bullets are always in stock.

Another option is to practice with the 180s and sight in the 168s for your hunt.
Thanks for the encouragement. I don't worry about accuracy with the hammers a much as getting full potential out of them, and getting consistent drop at 500 or so. My understanding is that consistency comes with higher pressure, just below the brass life threshold. Any feelings about that? I should say when I tought I was going to use them I was focused primarily on the absolute hammers which are trickier to read.

I thought about what you say, shooting the 180 then hunting the 168, I had planned on that originally but I'm setup for holding over with a reticle, not dialing, so I worry about getting too familiar with one drop. I honestly can't remember what the projected drops would be like, I'm checking that out now. I wonder if the 162 ELDM would be even better for practice, they seem to be available a couple palces.

Nosler has been about as bad as Sierra. You may look at the 140 Berger they have been available. I've been able to find 168 Berger's at my lgs. I also have 3 different 284 cals so I run the 168 Berger's and 131 hammers in my stw. 169 hammers, 190 matrix, 190 Berger's in my 7 max, and the 28 nosler runs 154 hammers. I would check shooters pro shop if your looking for noslers.
I need to find a new lgs. Almost all of them in my area are nothing but AR/hangdun ffl depots. They didn't have anything on shelves even before shortages. There is one outstanding gem only 25 minutes away but it's located in an aggravating hellhole that gets worse every time I go down.

The hammer hunters are not difficult to reload for. In fact, I've found three sub 1/2 moa loads in 15 rounds or less. One required only nine for a .206" group. Plenty of load data available below and bullets are always in stock.

Another option is to practice with the 180s and sight in the 168s for your hunt.
So it looks like the drops on those 2 will be within one inch out to 700. Not much of a problem there, lol. I remembered there was a reason I picked those 2 when 7mm was still on the shelf. Wind drift will be different but it's an exact 3 to 4 ratio. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't worry about accuracy with the hammers a much as getting full potential out of them, and getting consistent drop at 500 or so. My understanding is that consistency comes with higher pressure, just below the brass life threshold. Any feelings about that? I should say when I tought I was going to use them I was focused primarily on the absolute hammers which are trickier to read.

I thought about what you say, shooting the 180 then hunting the 168, I had planned on that originally but I'm setup for holding over with a reticle, not dialing, so I worry about getting too familiar with one drop. I honestly can't remember what the projected drops would be like, I'm checking that out now. I wonder if the 162 ELDM would be even better for practice, they seem to be available a couple palces.
Give me a call on Monday. I'll be more than happy to get you rolling with the supplies you have on hand.

They don't have to be pushed to the edge of pressure. That is just how we do it. I'm not one to leave potential on the table if I don't have to. Some rifles tighten up when velocity/pressure is pushed. Some rifles shoot no matter what you feed them. Getting sub moa is usually not tough. If the rifle has shown accuracy before then I expect to see it shoot Hammers as good or better.