Out of the loop... 7mm bullet choice still suffering?

The hammer hunters are not difficult to reload for. In fact, I've found three sub 1/2 moa loads in 15 rounds or less. One required only nine for a .206" group. Plenty of load data available below and bullets are always in stock.

Another option is to practice with the 180s and sight in the 168s for your hunt.
He makes a great point. Hammers are always available. Hammers can make a pretty accurate load quick. Hammers seem to perform well on game.(I don't have experience) They are a bit spendy, but you get something for that cost.

Give me a call on Monday. I'll be more than happy to get you rolling with the supplies you have on hand.

They don't have to be pushed to the edge of pressure. That is just how we do it. I'm not one to leave potential on the table if I don't have to. Some rifles tighten up when velocity/pressure is pushed. Some rifles shoot no matter what you feed them. Getting sub moa is usually not tough. If the rifle has shown accuracy before then I expect to see it shoot Hammers as good or better.
Thanks Steve for the clarification and offer. I honestly haven't looked for powder for a while but I'd love to get ahold of some rl16 and try to replicate your 280AI data with the absolutes. Like you say, hard to settle when you know what it can do. I actually bought a smaller neck bushing and a lee crimper to try to make h4831 less anemic when I had a stockpile. Then I sold some to buy a bow so it's a little irrelevant. I'll try to reach out.

After running the 169 HH in my 7-LRM I'd never go back to a Barnes. Hammers have similar or better BC, even though the Barnes are tipped, and more consistent terminally. And you can run the Hammers a good bit faster. Easier on your barrel too, I wager.

284 / 169 HH - G7 .285 (1.562")
284 / 168 Barnes LRX - G7 .271 (1.595")

284 / 143 HH - G7 BC .230 (1.40″) - ⚡lightning
284 / 145 Barnes LRX - G7 .239 (1.418")

There is some RL 16 for sale in Utah right now - https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/68079547

I have a partial box of around 82 or so Nosler 168 gr ABLR's if you get stuck we might work something out. I'm in Pleasant Grove. From the sounds of it though, the Hammers may be the way to go.
Just saw that, they're almost within walking distance of me, thanks. THanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind.

Last edited:
What is your twist rate. I'd go hammers. My wife is shooting lrx 139s at the moment but unavailable so I have a stock pile of hammers when she runs out.

I shoot 168ablr out of my 7rm also. But with the bs and unavailable from nosler. Hammers will be next. I'll have to check but I may have some 162sst I'd get rid of. The sst actually shot better out of my 1:9 then the 168ablr. both were sub 1/2moa at 200 yards.

So dumb question - with the Barnes you go less bullet weight & faster velocity. Is this the same for Hammers? What is the criteria for selecting the best weight Hammer?

I shoot a 7 SAUM too and have tried some of the slower powders like RL26 and N565. For kicks I worked up to 57.8 grains of RL26 got the Berger 195 to around 2750 with no pressure signs. Berger's max load data for it was 58.4. Gordon's Reloading Tool was around the same max.

So dumb question - with the Barnes you go less bullet weight & faster velocity. Is this the same for Hammers? What is the criteria for selecting the best weight Hammer?

I shoot a 7 SAUM too and have tried some of the slower powders like RL26 and N565. For kicks I worked up to 57.8 grains of RL26 got the Berger 195 to around 2750 with no pressure signs. Berger's max load data for it was 58.4. Gordon's Reloading Tool was around the same max.
Yes with mono you can go lighter and push them hard. I'm running 131hh in 7rm over 3200. Depends on twist rate how heavy you can go. 155hh requires 1:8.75 or faster.

So dumb question - with the Barnes you go less bullet weight & faster velocity. Is this the same for Hammers? What is the criteria for selecting the best weight Hammer? I shoot a 7 SAUM too and have tried some of the slower powders like RL26 and N565. For kicks I worked up to 57.8 grains of RL26 got the Berger 195 to around 2750 with no pressure signs. Berger's max load data for it was 58.4. Gordon's Reloading Tool was around the same max. [/ The Hammers would be like other monos you usually drop down in bullet weight because of the bullets , length and rate of twist required . Hammer bullets have something pretty much for all twist rates , look at the 7 mm hammer bullets and it will give you bullet choices from 120 gr up too 177 showing the recommended twist for your bullet choices . Their may be some other 7mm bullets they make that's not shown , call hammer bullets they will steer you in the right direction.

Here is a link to a sticky, on our Hammer Time forum, on how to select a Hammer Bullet.

As far as I can tell the situation for 7mm pills isn't much better than it was, still extremely slow to get back on the shelves, is that correct? I've been away from my rifle for a year now, took a deep dive into bowhunting, but I drew a pretty good deer tag and need to get shooting again. There's also a very high likelihood of a spike/cow hunt on the same unit. My problem is ranges on the unit can be high, high enough that I need to practice a bunch and I'm not sure I have quite enough 168 Accubond LR to get as good as I need to be. I have about 100 more 180ELDMs but I'm seeing some mixed messages about their performance. Granted every bullet has that on one end or the other. What are people's feelings about these two?

Is anyone getting any Nosler 7mm bullets anywhere?

For the record I'm shooting a SAUM with h4831sc. 168 is right around 2800, 180 is around 2650. I'll chronograph them in the next couple weeks.

I would absolutely try hammers but between bowhunting prep and needing to procure a different powder and just not having the reloading talent yet I don't think that's going to happen. Anyone in Utah have experience I can rent?
You already have the bullets you need, do not overthink it. I know quite a few folks that have very good successes with ELD-Ms at LRH in various chamberings. Some of them prefer the Ms over the Xs. Good luck!