Out of the box

Brought my son a new T3X Tikka in .270 calibre, basic Leopold VX-3 HD running with some hand loads. New Hornady brass, Nosler AccuBond 140gr using 57gr RL19 running at 3,000 fps.
Went out to a local range than goes out to around 750 metres, he ran out of windage adjustment before then, yet at 500 metres he was hitting the 6" steel disc. Rifle is an OEM untouched with around fifty rounds through it. AccuBond projectiles were not the long range version.
This was a budget deer setup with zero tuning with the basic OEM plastic stock.
Father and Son activities are everlasting.......congratulations on being a Good Father

LoL, if you're scope is centered correctly, you might as well not even be shooting that day if you run out of windage adjustment! That's me anyway.
Tikka accuracy is well known. What's impressive is that the OEM plastic stock does not detract from that, and it sounds like little to no load development was done before this outing.

It seems like many of the off the shelf bolts under $1K are capable of well under 1 MOA these days; Howa, Wby Vanguard, Browning, Tikka, Savage to name a few. You don't NEED to spend $2K to get < .5MOA if you reload. But of course, more expensive toys are usually cooler and better in some way.

So very thankful for these stories being shared. I cherish the memories of my Dad spending the time and effort like you with your son. My wife's tikka has got to be close to 20 years old and still ping'g steel a ways out and put'n elk on the BBQ!

Happy news from a distant land. Don't know that much about Tika rifles but several big time hunters I know or knew about always included the old .270W in their traveling hunting rifles. Sounds like the N.Z. guys will get it done. Are those .17 HMR ammo boxes? Good for under 125 yard rodents.
Yea we play with rim fire rifles while the bigger ones cool off. The .17 is deadly under 150 metres but meat damage can be problematic so head shots worth the effort.

LoL, if you're scope is centered correctly, you might as well not even be shooting that day if you run out of windage adjustment! That's me anyway.
Tikka accuracy is well known. What's impressive is that the OEM plastic stock does not detract from that, and it sounds like little to no load development was done before this outing.

It seems like many of the off the shelf bolts under $1K are capable of well under 1 MOA these days; Howa, Wby Vanguard, Browning, Tikka, Savage to name a few. You don't NEED to spend $2K to get < .5MOA if you reload. But of course, more expensive toys are usually cooler and better in some way.
Rifle is suppressed and the hand load literally nailed it without trying, a fluke! Ran out of elevation

I own 270S ,but never owned a Tikka. Everybody I know that owns a Tikka Loves it. The 270 Win is old school magic!!!So seems like a round developed in 1924, and a new rifle built with modern tech, can get along just fine!!! Try a Leupold Windplex VX 3 scope. 4.5X to 14X ,in Leupold rings and bases.

I own 270S ,but never owned a Tikka. Everybody I know that owns a Tikka Loves it. The 270 Win is old school magic!!!So seems like a round developed in 1924, and a new rifle built with modern tech, can get along just fine!!! Try a Leupold Windplex VX 3 scope. 4.5X to 14X ,in Leupold rings and bases.
It's using a VX3-HD and same power I think, it cost less than the rifle LOL. Usually the other way these days