Other cases w/ .473 (?), 30-06, case head diameter

Alan Griffith

After talking to a few gunsmiths, it's time to rebarrel (2000+ rounds) my M700 in 30-06. I'll probably stay with the 30-06 but might be tempted to stray to another cartridge. I can't find my latest edition of Cartridges of the World, other wise I'd look up the possibilities myself. I figure I will need to stay with the same case head diameter and since it's on a long action that won't hurt either. I have a few guidelines.

1) This rifle was custom built to be an ultra light wt @ 6 lb 8 oz w/ Leupold M8 4x. I'd like to keep it light. Say 7 lb or less if possible. I could be swayed heavier if the cartridge fit my fancy.

2) Would prefer a .30 cal but the 6.5 looks very interesting and the minimum caliber I'd consider.

3) Don't really want a barrel burner (2900 fps or less preferred).

4) Will be used for big game upto Elk in size.

I'll probably go with a 24" Lilja contour #2, maybe #3.

Big Al

How about the 280 Ackley Improved? Look in the Nosler manual for a great writeup of this cartridge by Kenny Jarrett. Cases are simple to fireform, and performance falls just a hair short of 7mag. I have a 3006AI, but I wish I would have barreled to the 280AI instead. Recoil for the 7mm is noticably less than 30 cal, and lots of great bullets with excellent BC like the Nosler Accubond are available.
7mm cartridges have been proven to be fine performers on elk sized game. Have fun with your search! Sam

[ QUOTE ]
After talking to a few gunsmiths, it's time to rebarrel (2000+ rounds) my M700 in 30-06. I'll probably stay with the 30-06 but might be tempted to stray to another cartridge. I can't find my latest edition of Cartridges of the World, other wise I'd look up the possibilities myself. I figure I will need to stay with the same case head diameter and since it's on a long action that won't hurt either. I have a few guidelines.

1) This rifle was custom built to be an ultra light wt @ 6 lb 8 oz w/ Leupold M8 4x. I'd like to keep it light. Say 7 lb or less if possible. I could be swayed heavier if the cartridge fit my fancy.

2) Would prefer a .30 cal but the 6.5 looks very interesting and the minimum caliber I'd consider.

3) Don't really want a barrel burner (2900 fps or less preferred).

4) Will be used for big game upto Elk in size.

I'll probably go with a 24" Lilja contour #2, maybe #3.

Big Al

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"><u>Go with a .35 Whelen!!!</u></font> It fits all your criteria, and with a 225 gr. Barnes TSX launched around 2650fps, it'll knock an elk down even at 300 yards, while providing better BEAR protection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just ask my Dad who used my .35 Whelen to slam a big cow elk off her feet (she fell right over!) at 265 yards with the old styled 225 gr. X bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For varmints, use a 200 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, or pistol bullets (.357 Magnum JHPs)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Get a 1-12" twist (NOT a 1-16"!!!), .358 cal, #3 contour barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Best of all, it isn't a caliber that "everyone else has!!!"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="blue">BTW, for POSITIVE extraction, have your Gunsmith to add either a Sako extractor, or a M-16/AR-15 extractor to the Rem M700 bolt. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Go with a .35 Whelen!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

hell might as well get a lever gun too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

d-a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go with a .35 Whelen!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

hell might as well get a lever gun too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

d-a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, if he had mentioned a lever gun, I would have recommended a .411 Hawk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif More Info for the .411 Hawk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

374813.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
drops like a brick, or drops them like a brick? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I second the 280Ai , I've had a realy nice 30-06Ai but the next go round I think I'll try a 280Ai. It'll shoot a little bit flatter and has littl better BC bullets for the LR stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.