Otc arizona mule archery

Swovay696

Yes I realize this is a long range hunting forum, but I am not a member of an archery forum. Wondering who has/does this hunt. Looking to go in Jan. Looking to camp, glass, spot and stalk. looking for warmer areas, "i am from Mn" with not an extreme amount of other hunters. I read about illegals and smugglers in the southern part of the state, so not sure I want to.go there. I've done some research, but I am lost on where to start. If anybody could give me some units that would be good, I would appreciate it. Pretty much want to drive to a spot to set up camp, then hike in wherever to glass. I've never done anything like this, so looking for an area for a good learning curve. At this point I could care less about a trophy. Just want to see deer, and get a chance. Any recommendations on a zone/area would be very much appreciated. I do deer hunt, but it's minnesota style. Not mountain, see for miles, God's country walk 10 miles style. Thanks ahead for any pointers

696, too soon to know which units will have tags. Keep checking the AZGFD site. The onLy OTC deer tags I've seen are Coues deer tags. These tags are most always in southern Az where your border crossing friend's are plentiful. Usually the Coues tags can be had for rifle.

696, too soon to know which units will have tags. Keep checking the AZGFD site. The onLy OTC deer tags I've seen are Coues deer tags. These tags are most always in southern Az where your border crossing friend's are plentiful. Usually the Coues tags can be had for rifle.

He's asking about the January archery hunts.

Not all of the units will be open in January, but most will be. Check AZGFD website to be certain that the unit you choose is open. I've done my fair share of hunting mule deer with a bow, but not so much in January. This last January was my first attempt at it, and I was not successful. It was a lot of fun though. I would say look at the regs, and find the rifle units that are the hardest to draw, and have the best success. I'd stick to those units for an out of stater that's not familiar with a unit. They will generally have more deer, offering you a better chance at seeing deer. But like I said, make sure that the unit is open to OTC archery, as some units will not be open. Good luck, I hope you get into them.

That's a great idea about the rifle draw units. I realize there are a few units for draw in Jan, and that not all units are open in Jan. I've never been to arizona. That's the main reason I am looking for some unit recommendations. I have plenty if time to figure it out. Thanks again for the idea powellsix0

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.