Oryx vs KRG Bravo vs MDT LSS Gen2/LSS-XL Gen2

jb1023

Curious if anyone has any experience with 1 or more of the listed chassis? I have a Howa 1500 SA I am wanting to move to a chassis system and these 3(4) are in my budget. Really hoping someone has experience with more than one of them and can offer informed comparisons. I've seen a few sponsored youtube vids on some of them but nothing that seemed independent.

I have the KRG Bravo for my .308, .300PRC and .300WM. For the
IMG_1688.jpg
money, they are great stocks. Light and easy to customize with the many accessories offered for them. Also, the LA versions utilize the 3.850 mags which give you the ability to load bullets out further.

Have a MDT LSS XL. Not something I would buy again.
Have a MDT Tac-21. Sweet chassis. Would buy again
Also have a McRees G7 chassis, my preferred of the three

I have the lss and the lss-xl both on howa long actions The 3.715 mags are fine for the 270 but not for something with big bullets. I also have an APO saber short action and sold a bravo with another rifle. The bravo and MDT xrs will make a better cold-weather platform if you shoot through the winter as I do. If you are looking to get a detachable magazine system any listed will provide that feature.
I have folding buttstocks on all my chassis. This way I can leave my cheek piece as is when I clean them. For this alone, I would rule out the oryx. The bravo or XRS don't fold however the plastic panels are much warmer than metal in January in New England.

Out of those three I only own the bravo. I own a few chassis systems (whiskey 3, mpa comp, mdt acc) and for the money the bravo is one sweet chassis. Comfortable, customizable, easy to get behind. Highly recommend

Does anyone know if KRG does any sort of black Friday sales? I know MDT's sale starts on Friday.

The McRees looks really nice but it isn't available for the Howa action. May look at them again when I upgrade my Tikka though.

I have the Oryx. Moved from an A5-ADJ Mcmillan, which I still have, and have not looked back. For me, I needed a removable magazine, which the A5 would had to have been inletted and I would have had to buy a DBM for my Savage 12 in 300 WSM. SInce the Oryx was $499, and a drop in, I thought it made more sense for me. Compared it to $200 for the DBM, gunsmith time for inlet and fit $150 (guess on smith time). Heck I got a chassis for $150 or less. I really didn't need or want a folding stock or have to decide which butstock. For me it was a no brainer and one of the best decisions I have made concerning that rifle since I started building on it 14 years ago. It shoots great, has the best recoil pad I have ever had. The Oryx has enough options for me and my needs. Of course Oryx is an MDT company, the fit and finish is excellent and install was less than 15 minutes. Would have been less than 5 minutes but the factory box mag on the Savage was a little contacerous. After install and torque I was 2" high and dead on windage wise at 100 yards. Amazing. I would buy again in a heartbeat.

I have the Oryx. Moved from an A5-ADJ Mcmillan, which I still have, and have not looked back. For me, I needed a removable magazine, which the A5 would had to have been inletted and I would have had to buy a DBM for my Savage 12 in 300 WSM. SInce the Oryx was $499, and a drop in, I thought it made more sense for me. Compared it to $200 for the DBM, gunsmith time for inlet and fit $150 (guess on smith time). Heck I got a chassis for $150 or less. I really didn't need or want a folding stock or have to decide which butstock. For me it was a no brainer and one of the best decisions I have made concerning that rifle since I started building on it 14 years ago. It shoots great, has the best recoil pad I have ever had. The Oryx has enough options for me and my needs. Of course Oryx is an MDT company, the fit and finish is excellent and install was less than 15 minutes. Would have been less than 5 minutes but the factory box mag on the Savage was a little contacerous. After install and torque I was 2" high and dead on windage wise at 100 yards. Amazing. I would buy again in a heartbeat.
Actually after looking back at my invoice the Oryx chassis was only $399, not $499 so for $50 I got the chassis.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts