Oryx---December or spring?

dogz

I am going to New Mex to hunt Oryx, my options at this time are early to mid December (which it could suck to drive down there then) and or March, April.

My plans are to drive, mainly cause I enjoy driving and this way I can bring the meat home.

To my question, I've been told that cape wise there isn't any diff between a December cape and a spring cape. That's counter to what I deal with in Montana. So oh wise one's who have some experience with said critter and conditions what do you say?

Many thanks in advance for your time and comments

Do you know when they rut? Although I don't know if either season is better, I'm thinking a spring big game hunt would be pretty cool, considering 90% of big game hunts take place in the fall.

Oryx go into heat year round. You will always find bulls in herds with cows because of this. You also will see calves year round. Either time of year will be very similar. I would pick which ever time works better for your schedule.

Thx for the responses, I"m really looking forward to this trip.

As I've matured (ok...gotten older) I've found I more and more enjoy the trips from the planning to the memories. If I kill is way down the ladder for me anymore as I've done that and seen it done enough by this time in life (I'll be 62 tomorrow).

I have a small list of trips and places I want to see and I just happen to enjoy doing it with a rifle in my hands:)

Unless December turns abnormally warm, I'll probably head down about mid March or so. Would be a welcome break to get away from Montana about then.

There hair will be shedding come March and April but capes will be fine. I think their capes look better when they are slick, colors are more pronounced. March and April are also our windy months which really can effect Oryx movements and just be miserable to hunt in also can be 80 and hotter not the best hunting weather.
There is also a Birthing pulse in late February-March. They breed year round but a noticeable surge that time of year.

I assume your hunting private land off range tag since all the others are a draw. If your hunting one of the bigger ranches time of year won't matter as ther is plenty of oryx. If your hunting a small ranch March is considerably tuffer since they have been hunted with a 100 public hunters a month

Last edited:
Are you going with an outfitter? I applied for the missile range, but it's never going to happen in my lifetime. So maybe it's time to look off range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.