Oryx Bucket List Hunt

On my 2022 farewell tour list. Congrats, who was your outfitter ?
Love of the Hunt Outfitting. They specialize in Off-range Oryx hunts. My Guide Brendon Rosales was born and raised in the local area. He has been guiding since he was 12. He definitely knows Oryx.

Had a off range tag in 2020 it was a blast, had to wait till I was a non resident before I finally drew. Was a tough hunt but fun. I'm ready to go again. Great job on a great bull! That a big bull on or off range! Congrats

Well, I'm totally ignorant regarding most Western states hunting regs! Here in KY we just purchase license/tags and hunt the few game species available, mostly on private property. Main exception, elk hunting Eastern KY is strictly a draw and no point system. What is an on range and off range Oryx hunt? Still trying to learn in hopes of hunting the West someday.

Well, I'm totally ignorant regarding most Western states hunting regs! Here in KY we just purchase license/tags and hunt the few game species available, mostly on private property. Main exception, elk hunting Eastern KY is strictly a draw and no point system. What is an on range and off range Oryx hunt? Still trying to learn in hopes of hunting the West someday.
cur-nix, 93 Oryx were released on the White Sands Missile Range between 1969 and 1977. The population was grown to around 6,000. The majority of the population is found on the Missile Range. The Range is a secure military base. If fortunate enough to get for a on-range hunt (less than 10% draw for non-resident) you must first pass a security background check. The on-range hunt is 3 days, with the first 1/2 day in a security/safety briefing. Success is very good for on-range hunts. The off-range tags are for Oryx that have moved off the missile range and are on public and private land. The off-range tags are good for an entire month, mine was for the month of June. If applying with a Outfitter/Guide the draw odds increase to about 60%. No point or preference system in New Mexico. Check the New Mexico F&G website for details. I highly recommend Love of the Hunt Outfitters, they specialize in off-range Oryx hunts.

On my 2022 farewell tour list. Congrats, who was your outfitter ?
James, I used Love of the Hunt Outfitting. I highly recommend them. They specialize in off-range Oryx. My guide Brendon was born and raised in the area and has been guiding since he was 12. He definitely knows Oryx. Tagged out on day 1.

cur-nix, 93 Oryx were released on the White Sands Missile Range between 1969 and 1977. The population was grown to around 6,000. The majority of the population is found on the Missile Range. The Range is a secure military base. If fortunate enough to get for a on-range hunt (less than 10% draw for non-resident) you must first pass a security background check. The on-range hunt is 3 days, with the first 1/2 day in a security/safety briefing. Success is very good for on-range hunts. The off-range tags are for Oryx that have moved off the missile range and are on public and private land. The off-range tags are good for an entire month, mine was for the month of June. If applying with a Outfitter/Guide the draw odds increase to about 60%. No point or preference system in New Mexico. Check the New Mexico F&G website for details. I highly recommend Love of the Hunt Outfitters, they specialize in off-range Oryx hunts.
Accumark, I appreciate your response! It all makes sense now that I know what the "range" refers to. Actually visited White Sands back in 2004, kids loved playing on the sand dunes. The wife had family in Albuquerque at that time so we had accommodations and were able to visit Mesa Verde and then drive South to Carlsbad, then drove down and picked up I-10 to Gulf Shores, AL. Texas is a hike!! Loved the beauty of everywhere we visited. My main goal is to go back and hunt before I get too old. I'm very envious of you guys fortunate to be out in the West!

Recent Posts