Oryx are Awesome!

About a month ago I got a call from New Mexico Game and Fish notifying me that they selected my name for a one day oryx population management opportunity on the Dona Ana range complex near WSMR. Without hesitation, I said I'll take it. I've been fortunate to hunt this area on this same tag in previous years and there are few things better than having a freezer full of oryx meat.

With my 12 yo daughter alongside, the morning hunt started slowly. I went to a location I've seen several large groups in the past, but aside from a few stragglers, the numbers weren't there this time. I did, however, spot a large herd approximately 2 miles away from my elevated position. We climbed back down to the truck and headed towards the oryx. We passed on a few animals on the way to the large herd that either weren't easily stalkable or didn't make the cut for size. Knowing that this is a one day hunt, you have to be a bit more aware about potentially wasting time on a fruitless stalk.

The oryx sightings increased drastically as we approached the location we previously spotted them in. My goal was to find either a 40+" cow or a 37+" bull. I knew the quality of animals in the area was there, I just had to demonstrate a little patience. After looking over a few dozen oryx, one caught my eye, but it had me totally fooled. It completely dwarfed the mid 30" cow it was standing next to. After looking it over for a few seconds, noticing the larger size, distinct horn rings, and heavy bases, I thought it was a long horned bull. With with the animal broadside at 385 yards, I built a rest, dialed my scope, and sent a 200 grain Accubond through its shoulder dropping the oryx in its tracks. As we approached the animal I was absolutely elated that I had met my goal, but I was surprised to see a cow on the ground after seeing the way it dwarfed its sidekick.

The old cow measures 41" with a 6.75" base on the left and 40.5" with a 7" base on the right side.

These are such cool critters and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to hunt them free range here in the USA.

View attachment 415582View attachment 415581
Congrats! Do you have to be a resident to have an opportunity on them?