Origin & Bartlein or SR3 & PROOF?

Which barreled action to start a hunting build?

• Origin & Bartlein carbon fiber

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • SR3 & PROOF Carbon fiber

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

CastIronSkillet

I've read all I can about the Origin vs the TL3/SR3 and I dont think I would be unhappy with the origin at all.

I can get both barreled actions made for about the same $. Is it better to step up the action or step up the barrel?

This doesn't make sense to me really.

Given your 2 barrel choices, the Bartlein will generally be more accurate. The CF barrel will be lighter, but almost always less accurate.

Between all the actions listed, they will be the same level of accuracy, but the TL3/SR3 have slightly more configuration flexibility.

I went the TL3 route, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Origin. As far as barrels, I've had great luck with Bartlein (steel) and proof carbon barrels. The bartlein carbons are a little heavier than the proof if that matters to you at all.

It depends on what your setup will be. Example that I just dealt with. Ordered an origin for 6.5prc SA and also went with bdl bottom metal. That won't work with an origin because you don't have the internal length unless you go Wyatt's. Since I already had stock and bottom metal(gunwerks) in route I couldn't change that so I switched to SR3 for Wyatt's cut. This was for a hunt setup.

edit: I also have 2 other origins for target rifles. I would've been more than content with another origin had it all worked out.

I will expand a little more on my thoughts. I am not necessarily after bench rest accuracy from a hunting rifle, I would like it sub moa and repeatable. Weight is a factor but, both barrels in CF meet the weight criteria that I'm after. My stock is already opened up for a CF barrel so a pencil thin steel barrel is out.

I am looking at the proof pre-fits in 6.5 creedmoor, I can't find any specs on the reamer they use, it probably makes little difference though.

The bartlein would be spun with my reamer of choice and adds 12ish weeks to the build.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will expand a little more on my thoughts. I am not necessarily after bench rest accuracy from a hunting rifle, I would like it sub moa and repeatable. Weight is a factor but, both barrels in CF meet the weight criteria that I'm after. My stock is already opened up for a CF barrel so a pencil thin steel barrel is out.

I am looking at the proof pre-fits in 6.5 creedmoor, I can't find any specs on the reamer they use, it probably makes little difference though.

The bartlein would be spun with my reamer of choice and adds 12ish weeks to the build.

Thanks for all the replies.
In that case it all comes down to personal preference. I would ask how the sr3 setup is coming at the same price of the origin setup?

The SR3 for $1250 + $829 for proof

Origin for $825 + $1100 for the bartlein

There's only $150 difference between the two options.

I would go with an origin and a proof then.
That was my first choice. The proof prefits are currently not available for the origin. I would need to order a blank and have it fit making the proof the same $ as the bartlein.

Proofs are available for the SRS though.

I'm not familiar with those actions being in Australia but we can source the Canadian made IBI carbon barrels far cheaper than a proof.

For what you're describing I'd go with the origin. Unless you're after a specific feature the TL3 offers, I see no reason to pay extra. Bartlein would be my choice over proof as well, but I'll be honest and say either carbon option is more than I'm willing to drop on a barrel. As above, the hunts recoil lug can let you use a TL3 SA prefit on the origin, or you could go with a savage barrel nut which proof offers as well. I have a savage style 6.5 PRC rock creek barrel and I'm pleased with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.