Oregon??

oso

Well I may be moving to Oregon very soon probably Salem.

What is out that way for some long range shooting, predator hunting and general big game hunting? Things I would be using to hunt with would be a LR gun, archery, and pistol's (xp's).

I have lived out west in New mexico for good part of my life and have only stuck around here due to its great hunting.

So is the hunting as good in Oregon?

Should I rethink my move?

Does anyone know what the cost of living is or how it compares?

As you can see I am still undecided but if the hunting and shooting is good then I can probably deal with the rest. Thanks in advance.

oregon

Oso,

We have plenty of LR hunting and shooting.we have lots of deer elk bears and other predators. Lots of chances

It may be a shock to come from desert country to here as we have lots of brush on the westside of the cascades. Look at my website and call me if u want to know more. Good luck with your choices...

Tim

Oregon

As for Salem cost of living is not to bad compared to portland.
As for hunting most the good hunting is a draw tag on the east side for Mulies. You can hunt high cascades and willamette valley with a over the counter tag. The Black tail are diffcult to hunt due to the brushy area they live. Lots of glassing.

On the east side there are plunty of long range shooting. More difficult to find a place in the valley.

Salem dose not have a very good shooting range, maybe 300yrd max. Up in Sherwood we have a 600yrd range.

PM me if you want details.

OSO,
Getting ready to make a big move that way myself. Moving from NC to WA here in the near future. Try a "google" search and look up "cost of living". It should pull up alot of websites for you to browse. You can put the area you're leaving and the area you're going to and get a idea of what you're up against. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

OSO,

I live in Browsville, which is about 40 miles south of salem. I cannot find a decent range but have found a place near my house that we can get 300,550,800,880,1000,1490,and 2200 all from one landing. The worst angle is for the 2200 and 880 which are both about 12 deg. It is very hard to find such a place and whithin 3-5 years the trees will start to obscure veiws. For now it is one of the nicest wind free places to shoot or test loads. As for testing myself eastern oregon has many windy places that I have found over the last 6-7 years. When I get bored I go east. I hunt east also. I have drawn tags in about half of the eastern units and there is some good goat and deer LRH opportunities. The Elk tend to stay in the timber, but I have found a few spots for them in the desert also. PM me if you are interested in shooting some time. I am shooting almost every weekend. If its not my own I may be testing one that I put together for someone else. Usually if we plan ahead we can have anywhere from 4-8 people shooting. I have been working on a plan to get one of our beloved grasseed farmers to rent a 1200 or so yard spot to some of us to set up some cement benches for a close level covered range.

Jason

Good luck with the move! Anyone else in Oregon looking to get together and shoot? Drop me a line. PS we are not as serius as it sounds. I have been shooting about 6-7 years. I am just now getting to find my you know what with both hands if ya know what I mean? Just some fun guys that like to burn powder, and maybe learn a few things along the way.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the response's! As I stated earlier things are still in the air, now it sounds as if I may hear something by the mid part of next week.

I am a little leary to go, mainly because of the hunting we have here... well, at least when a guy can get drawn! I believe that we have some of the finest (quality) hunting in the states.

As far as doing a google search...? I have not... But have been looking at house's their and they seem to cost about the same as here?

If I were to move to Salem... how far are we talking to go shooting (generally) and hunting say this place Willamette? Oh and where is this East side for mulies?

Cathunter & Strictlyrum, be careful what you say... I may just take you fellas up on the offer's! It sounds like a spot and stalk style hunting? Man I hope so...! As I prefer not to be a blind hunter or a tree stand kinda a guy. Not that there is anything wrong with it... It's just not my style of hunting.

Only a 300 yard range....!!??

Thanks again fellas I may pm a few of you guys if the vote ends up being a go. (or the money is right I should say!)

Do not bring an umbrella!

OSO
The "Willamette" is the valley between the cascades and the costal range. It is the highest pouplated region in the state. Hunting in the Willamette valley is manily Black tail deer and Elk. Most land is private farms but pockets of BLM all over. If you are willing to walk a couple miles pass a locked gate, you can have the woods to yourself. MOst locals are lazy and road hunt. When going behind the locked gates make sure it is ok to hunt. Some logging outfits do not allow tresspassing even for hunting.

From Salem you can be on the east side (Central Oregon) in about 2 hours. Most people conceder the east side anything over the cscades. It becomes high desert and that is were the mulie deer live. In the high cscades can be some great hunting with a over the counter tag. Just east of salem by in the cascades can be very good hunting. TOUGH but GOOD!

Most people that enjoy hunting longrang will find it much easier in eastern Oregon (Draw tags only). The west side is very brushy,wet,raining, and fogged in during hunting season. Nothing like being in your spot ready to go 30 min before light and when the sun comes up you cannot see 100yrds due to fogg!!!

As for shooting close I do not know. I would assume you could be on a clear cut landing in about 45 min. From a landing you can find a road to shoot as far as you want. Great training due to swirling winds through the canyons.

For target practice we go digger hunting. You can shoot a long ways if you find a good place with lots of diggers. If you want pm me and we can talk.

Cody

Sorry for the long post, Just wanted to answer your questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.