Oregon West Beatys Butte Antelope

huntergreg

Well after 19 tries I finally drew my Oregon West Beatys antelope tag . I have never hunted antelope or been to this unit . so if anyone has any info or suggestions they would be willing to share with me it will be greatly appreciated . I have the weekend of the 4th of July to scout with my two girls. Will also be over there the entire season Aug. 15-28 to hunt. Please P/M or post. my email is [email protected] thanks .

I have hunted antelope a couple times in the Steens unit just the other side of the highway from West Beatys.

Couple things.
1) It's gonna be hot. There is a fairly good camp ground in French Glen Oregon that has RV hookups and air conditioned cabins.
2) The last 4 years of drought have dried up a lot of water holes but sitting on a water hole is always a good way to find them. They will come to water during the day.
3) If you find alfalfa fields you will find tons of antelope. You can setup outside the ranch and figure out their path to and from the fields. They will leave the private property from time to time.
4) Check with a rancher if you see lots of lopes in their fields. Some will allow you to hunt, if you ask and show some sense and respect. Others won't but they are usually friendly and it doesn't hurt to ask. Might want to do that on the July scouting trip before everyone is knocking on his door in August.

Hi all sorry for not posting a little a bought my self first. I grew up hunting and fishing with family and friends I have hunted from one end of the Oregon to another. taking mostly Blacktails , Roosevelt's and black bear started hunting over east in the late 80s a lot of my hunts were in the snake river area for both mule's and elk did quite a few pack in hunts also took up archery in the 90s did a lot over at lookout mountain had good luck and it seems like I saw a lot more animals bow hunting probably because it forced me to slow down . I was borne and raised in the small farming community of Aumsville Oregon . Moved to Goldendale Wa. a few years back really messed up draw odds . But the on plus side I was lucky to draw a Mt. goat tag for chowder ridge in 2013 it was an awesome hunt ended up with the help of some great friends taking a 9 7/8 Billy. Had never done a week long back country carry what u need on your back hunt before it was a learning experience to say the least . You guys have a great forum thanks for all of the help . Greg W

...........I was borne and raised in the small farming community of Aumsville Oregon . Moved to Goldendale Wa. a few years back really messed up draw odds . But the on plus side I was lucky to draw a Mt. goat tag for chowder ridge in 2013 ....................

I'm beginning to see where my tags are going.......LOL. Both pretty much once in a lifetime tag so you're out of the lead now. Tag a world beater.

Harperc i feel the same I'll probably never get a tag like thi again I told the wife it's like winning the lottery her reply was I'd rather have the money . Some just don't under stand lol!!

30 years of failing to draw that goat tag, and I went to BC! They put out that "conflict reduction goat tag by the park, I'm not 100% sure, but it may not fall under the once in a life time rule.

I love chasing the antelope for sure. I have August already booked up or I'd give you a hand. If I don't draw something soon I may have to pick up a landowner tag somewhere. Some big bucks that way, but it wouldn't be the same as Oregon. I'm finally off the Nevada 5 year wait following the year you draw antelope. Somebody's got to draw.

Talked with the biologist to day said he was going to do a partial flyover on the 9th and a full on the 26th will keep u all posted on what he reports good hunting

Greg

Hunted the Steins unit 2 or 3 years ago for lope with my father. Took him 15 points to draw.

I don't think you will have any problems finding them. We seen plenty and dad got plenty of shots but couldn't connect for some reason.

Some tips......

it will be hot (that's a given) but we saw animals out all day everyday. We saw them everywhere, not necessarily by water, just out grazing in the sage brush at all hours of the day.

the roads are rough

practice shooting at longer range, seemed like 400-600 was pretty typical

sight your gun in and check your zero again when you arrive. I live in Hood River not far from you and nearly same elevation, Steins hunting was in the 7,000 elevation range and for some unknown reason when we finally checked the zero on the gun it was almost 2moa low. Not do to the 7,000 elv. or heat but must of bumped something getting there or running those bumpy roads. This certainly accounted for a couple misses. I still think about those missed shots!!

bring binos and/or spotting scope, it became very easy to spot them at over a mile

there are lots of coyotes!

With as many lope as we seen we could be selective in waiting for a good sized one. I suspect you could have an opportunity for a shot nearly every day so don't feel like you got to shoot a small one or the first one you see. Lots of coyotes too! If you have any experience hunting these critters bring your calls and pick off a few of them while your there.

Should be a great experience for you. As I recall it was over an 80% success rate for antelope and I believe the 20% that didn't get one......well, couldn't make the trip or couldn't hit anything like my poor dad that year :) even though he was in the 20% it was a great hunt.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

Thanks 6.5x300 sounds like there will be some coyotes to recheck zero on going down to night after work with my girls in tow will be taking my rifle . set up is a custom 300ultra McMillan A5 Bartlein r5 barrel Jewell trigger stiller action toped with a Nightforce Atacr 5-25x56 moar and a g7 rangefinder . Berger 215gr 96gr reloader 33 nosler brass. we will see what I can do with it .

Yep! sounds like an awesome rifle. Although those goats are not much bigger then a coyote. I took a 338 edge and a 300 WM for my dads hunt. Took one coyote with the edge but missed many shots on the lopes????? half way threw the hunt we checked zero and found us 2" low with the edge at 100???? I still can't figure that one out?

Looking back at it now I definitely feel we where over gunned with the 338 and 300 mag. I think we would have been better off with a long range 243 to 7mm caliber. I think had we ever hit one with the big edge it would have been a mess.

Good luck with the hunt, certainly some awesome country down there.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.