Oregon shooters?

orwapitihunter

I was wondering if there is anything going on in Oregon? Competitions, informal shoots that sort of thing. I am interested in learning more about long range shooting and would like to get involved with something close by. I am shooting a warbird that a friend put together, 700 action, 27" Lilja tube, McMillan HTG stock. More of an all around hunting rifle(10.25#).

Thanks for the help.

I don't know how close you would be, but Ontario (OR) has the Snake River Sportsman club that shoots on the 1st Saturday of the month. I am pretty sure they shoot 1000yd matches, but I have not been there yet to verify. Also, the Parma, Idaho club has some LR tactical matches on occasion.
Go here for some SW Idaho/Eastern Oregon clubs: http://www.rsent.com/idclubs.htm

Try http://www.boomershoot.org/
grin.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I live near Roseburg on I-5. A little too far to hit on a regular basis but maybe. So what is the deal with shooting 27" TV's? Or are they the prize? When do they hold that shoot?

I dont know the history of the shoot and why they shoot at 27" tv's. I would think you dont want the tv after its been hit. I know most of the regulations and what not, its pretty simple. It cost $20 for 1 shot. No sighters. It must be your varmint, deer, or elk rifle, no .50 cal. Turrets are allowed. A bench is provided. You need a spotter with a spotting scope to determine if you hit the tv glass or not. The winner receives $100. Last year, only 5 of about 95-100 hit the glass on the 1st shot. They then had a shootout. The guy who won hit the tv 3 of 5 shots and he was using a accurized .30-378 weatherby. The year before that, a 15 year old won shooting a .300 RUM. Thats what I'll be shooting this year.

Its more for charity is why it was started. Just a way for us farmers to enjoy a little competition from one another. Its getting to be big though. Last year there was about 95-100 shooters and some were from Alaska. I think there should be at least 1 sighter shot to compensate for any wind or something. The probability of hitting it on the 1st shot is very slim for us with no sighter. It's a lot of fun to attend. I have been a bystander the last 2 years as I have not had the right gun or equipment to have any chance of winning. Now that I have my .300 RUM and a very accurate load worked up with the 200g SMK, I might have a shot at getting close to hitting it.

head east you might get get shot by a swat team in the western part of the state for shooting a rifle. central oregon is almost as bad.. burns area east will be your best bet for finding anything.

Where are you from in Oregon? In Ione which is about half hour drive from Hermiston, there is a 27" tv shoot every year at 1000 yards.

Hey there neighbor, do you know the date of that shoot? I live in Pendleton and have heard of this and would love to check it out. I too shoot a 300RUM, not ready for a 1000yrd cold bore shot though...

head east you might get get shot by a swat team in the western part of the state for shooting a rifle. central oregon is almost as bad.. burns area east will be your best bet for finding anything.[/QUOTE

i agree with that.western oregon is almost california these daze.hed east and have fun sir

Hey guys I posted that over 6 yrs ago, but it is still tough to really find anything going on. Most of the time I just do informal longrange shoots with my friends now.
The Warbird's tube finally went south about 2 yrs ago and I haven't gotten around to rebarreling it. So I have been splitting my time shooting a .338 Edge, a 7mm STW, 22-250 AI, and a few others.
Yes you are right about the Californian wave. Western Oregon will never be the same, but then it has been happening for a long time. I sure miss the Oregon of 30+ yrs ago.

i agree and miss the old orygun,between californians and illegals its gone down hill fast

Yes, I know this is an old post but couldn't resist. I lived in Oregon all my life untill 1999 when I moved to east coast. I miss Oregon all the time. I shot deer and elk and pheasants and varmints. There just weren't that many formal shoots anywhere back then. Loved to shoot varmints in Christmas Valley in high desert central part of state. Eastern Oregon had great elk and huge mule deer. The Willamette Valley is too anti-gun now so stay away from there. Go to eastern part of state where the gun is still in every household. Many ranches will let you shoot varmints too if you ask permission and respect the property. Eastern Washington has some great shooting too as does Idaho near Boise. Have fun. It's a shooters paradise but be responsible and it will stay that way.

" The Willamette Valley is too anti-gun now so stay away from there."

And it will stay that way so long as shooters keep retreating. I'm staying and I'm still shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.