Oregon Mt.Emily Unit Bull Elk Rifle

jesterg

Ok I know there are a few Oregonians or others on this forum that have been to and or hunted the Mt. Emily unit. I'm pretty sure it is one of the best units to hunt nowadays in Oregon. Does anybody have good or bad experience In the unit? Is it a hard to hunt?
How is the elk population? What caliber of bull would someone expect to get a chance at harvesting while hunting it?
Thanks for any words of wisdom.
Jesterg

Did you draw the tag? I had the any bull rifle tag in 2011 and would be happy to share what I learned. It's a great hunt for Oregon but I don't think it comes close to comparing to other western state's top elk hunts by any means.

Feel free to PM me if you want to hear specifics.

Thanks I will pm soon... my brother drew it this year lucky sucker.. He has already shot a 300 Rosevelt with his bow.. ..And would by no means compare any oregon unit to CO. WYO.Mo_Or ID.
BUT Mt.Emily is Top notch for oregon supposedly.. I guess we will see..
Jesterg

Bulls will be down in the holes, if you got a canyon shooting gun you will be better off than 95% of the hunters in there. Some good bulls to be had just not monsters. Biggest I have laid eyes on was 370 type bull but 320 to 340 more realistic and you will have indians hunting also so if you see a good one get it him before they do. Lots of bulls but now there is a couple wolf packs to contend with. Good luck

Indians? Well that's a motivating factor.. Is it a freeforall for them, or are they part of the tag allotment? I suppose you can call a 338LM somewhat of a canyon gun, as long as he can hold it together..If he chokes under pressure he might as well be using a slingshot..lol
We have lots of good glass and and several backup LR Guns for when I wrap his around a tree when he misses the monster..
Mr300, thanks for the tips, and if you have more words of wisdom please post..
Thanks. Jesterg

indians are free for all, and not part of the tag allotment. You will see plenty of bulls should be a great hunt. Shouldn't have a problem with that gun. Black mountain road is a good place to start.

Gorgeous area. I went along on a hunt in this unit. Saw lots of nice bulls in the deep canyon area, heard wolves every day. I hope to draw the Any Bull Tag for this unit some day.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.