oregon elk hunters

D.A.T.

just want to remind folks there is a general season tag that covers a lot of good units.i just got mine and am happy as heck.gotta new leg brace and am going for it.gun)

just want to remind folks there is a general season tag that covers a lot of good units.i just got mine and am happy as heck.gotta new leg brace and am going for it.gun)

Spike only? or horns?
East or west? (or north central)
Good luck with the new brace. Heck I may see you up there if its the same unit I hunt, and if I get work and can afford to go.

ill be hunting the heppner unit,gonna take it easy this year.its one visible antler.also cathrine creek and desolation and john day area.next year im hitting malhuer river unit north.wife got me a vortex 4-12, but i still want a burris 4.5-14 for the 250.

ill be hunting the heppner unit,gonna take it easy this year.its one visible antler.also cathrine creek and desolation and john day area.next year im hitting malhuer river unit north.wife got me a vortex 4-12, but i still want a burris 4.5-14 for the 250.

I think you mis-read the regs.(unless one visible antler is how you describe spike only) The area you described is a ''spike only/ one visible un branched antler'' hunt for second (general) season. Hood, Maupin, White River, and part of Biggs unit west of the John Day river are the only general season rifle ''any bull/ one bull with visible antler'' (no point restriction) hunts offered for Central-Eastern Oregon. (PAGE 63). see units colored orange.
The good news is that your general ''East side''season tag is not unit specific, so you can hunt most of central, and eastern oregon as long as you abide by that units requirements. But if you want any bull, youll have to go to hood, maupin, white river, or part of biggs with your tag.
I appologise if thats what you meant, and you were talking about spike hunting. If not, well then at least you found out now rather than from johnny law after the fact. Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.