Oregon Elk Hunt

buzz4me2

I think this is pretty reasonable but wanted other opinions. Cost is $5K.

Guided archery/rifle elk hunt on a private 10,000 acre ranch. Only 2 archery hunters a year and 2 rifle hunters a year. Six day hunt, trailer to stay in and dinners included.

The ranch is located west of I5 so this would be considered a Roosevelt elk hunt. Seems reasonable to me. A lot of elk are on the property. Archery is supposedly a lot better than rifle. The bulls scatter during the rifle and are a lot harder to find.

The unit is supposedly the top Roosevelt unit in Oregon and they say there are a lot of bulls on the property. They say it's 100% opportunity but depends on how big a bull you want. A lot of small 5x5 bulls but a fair number of large 5x5 and 6x6 bulls.

Is it hunt general season? There are two general season hunts in Oregon coast range. First one is Nov 14 thru 17th. That is only 4 days. The general season is Nov 21 thru 27. that is 7 days. Looks like you maybe hunting the second season. I would think that some paying customers during the first season might take some of the bigger bulls. Do you have an option for first season.

Guess I'm assuming its a rifle hunt for this year.

I was considering the archery hunt next year. The Powers unit is not an over the counter tag and it would be a land owner tag. Normally takes 8-9 years for an out of state person to draw the tag.

Thanks everyone who has replied.

You don't need to pay 5 grand and get a guided hunt there. Yes pressure will be a lot less. There's like only 60 to 70 tags there. Can't remember the exact number. Do your homework scout and save money. Good bulls in that unit. Get in deep in the cannons off the roads and you'll be surprised what that unit potential really is.

I agree on the cost. Plus you are only getting to hunt 6 days during a 27-28 day bow season. But like I said depends on the quality. I have a hard time believing there are only two bow hunters allowed for the season and you only get 6 days....

Anyway another option, I can recommend as I used to hunt with them often, is Wilderness Unlimited. Are you from California or Oregon? Somehow I just guess CA since you were wanting Powers unit.

Anyway, Wilderness Unlimited is based in CA and they have lands in Oregon. They have a lot of nice Easter Oregon ranches that are in units with high amounts of private land. So it is usually easy to draw a tag if you are in state or out of state. They are not necessarily landowner preference tags either.

WU is a club and as such you have to be interviewed and accepted, but they are not too difficult to join. They are a good club with lots of ranch opportunities in CA also.

A quality elk bow hunt in Oregon for them would probably be 2K, with tag cost for out of staters might be a little more. Would definitely check them out though.

Link:http://www.wildernessunlimited.com/

Also I think Cascade bow tags are still over the counter. Lots of elk in the drainages north of Crater Lake heading toward Lemolo lake. All NF land.

Happy bugling. :)

I maybe wrong but I'm guessing your talking about the Power Ranch, I know a few people that have hunted it and have done very well but I also know people that take 300-363 bulls out on public land DYI. If you have the money to burn I guess why not but I would do it myself and use the 5k to scout alot

Oh I got ya didn't read it all sorry. Powers is a good unit to hunt for sure with great bulls. but If you got time to scout there is big bulls all over the coast on public ground . Just depends on what's worth it to you

No problem. If you got to coin and you want to do this hunt next year I say go for it. A 300 inch Roosevelt is a true trophy. And a big pack out lol. One thing I would like to add is this. Come into this hunt in shape. I can't stress that enough, especially if your only going to have a 5 or 6 day hunt. It's not a altitude issue here its just how quick the terrain steepens up in a hurry and them big bulls are usually in the deepest darkest crap holes you can find them in. So get the cardio up so you can hit it hard all day long and everyday so there's no question you'll put down a trophy and have a great hunt.

You can certainly make DIY hunts work but when you pay a guide/outfitter you are paying for the benefit of their many years at it and knowledge of the species and area.

If you don't have any experience Elk Hunting, particularly in that area and have the money I'd say it's money very well spent.

It's a real blessing to have someone along who can at least reel you back a few notches when you want to take a "so so Bull" knowing your chances of seeing one much better are high, or to do just the reverse and let you know "Hey man, it's late in the hunt and the big guys just haven't come down yet, or are already below us and off of our property so this one might be a nice "First Bull" for you".

A few extra days of scouting won't buy you that kind of experience and knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.