oregon dont 4get

winmag

Hey guys, just a reminder, today Feb. 10 is the last day to apply for spring bear in Oregon. If you havent done it yet GET ON IT!

I'd thought about putting in for eastern tags but wasn't sure where I would be able to go. Its a busy spring for me so I went ahead and got SW tags for the wife and myself. I don't really know any good areas but a friend of mine does really well down there and I also did some depredation work down there a few years back. With the lack of preparation, I don't have my hopes up too high but we're hoping to get the wife a shot at her first bear or possibly let my 10yr old fill my tag with the mentor youth program.

Hey I drew my tag for unit 712A(Wilson-Trask). I am jazzed. However I really don't feel like going out by myself. If you or any one you know will be hunting the area and would be willing to let me tag along It would be very much appreciated. If so PM me. thank you and good luck.

I dont hunt the west side anymore. Im still drying out from the kast time, not to mention pulling stickers and thorns out of clothing. I wont say never again, but I will say I dont have ANY futre plans over there. Hats off to the folks who can pull it off tho.
I hunted my butt off for a few years over there and went farther and harder than anyone I talked to, and got 0000000 for my efforts, so I did it again the next year. Same result. And the next year, got a runt blacktail. And the next year00000 All I got was soaked, and full of stickers, and frusterated trying to find land to hunt where you didnt have to check in and out or wouldnt be bombarded by 1000's of dingalings in flame orange jumpsuits. NO THANKS! I need wide open spaces I guess.
I really have alot of respect for those that are successfull over there. Its NOT easy!!!!

I dont hunt the west side anymore. Im still drying out from the kast time, not to mention pulling stickers and thorns out of clothing. I wont say never again, but I will say I dont have ANY futre plans over there. Hats off to the folks who can pull it off tho.
I hunted my butt off for a few years over there and went farther and harder than anyone I talked to, and got 0000000 for my efforts, so I did it again the next year. Same result. And the next year, got a runt blacktail. And the next year00000 All I got was soaked, and full of stickers, and frusterated trying to find land to hunt where you didnt have to check in and out or wouldnt be bombarded by 1000's of dingalings in flame orange jumpsuits. NO THANKS! I need wide open spaces I guess.
I really have alot of respect for those that are successfull over there. Its NOT easy!!!!

I see that you are from the dry side of the state......

Im hunting the SW area this year. I grew up down there and know the country well. Then there is the fact I come from a family of loggers and a bunch of them are still at it. They let me know where the critters are.

Hunting the west side isnt that bad. We put down 3 blacktails last season. I personally passed up a dozen bucks before I punched my tag on the last day with a 4x5.

The first day I hunted elk with a rifle on the west side I killed a 5x5 bull. I then archery hunted a couple years with little success.

The trick to hunting the west side for deer and bear is patience and lots of preseason scouting. Then you have to be willing to sit for long periods of time and glass.

As for Elk, Find them and then run them down. If you find a herd, get on them and stay on them until they run clear out of the country or you kill one. 2 years ago I caught a herd crossing the road first thing in the morning. I stayed on them until it got dark. When I finally gave up I was over 10 miles from the truck. We went in the next morning and 2 of the guys in my party killed bulls. GPS, 2 way radios, and a pack with food, water and survival stuff is mandatory for hunting elk over here if you hunt the way we do. Seasons are short and you have to hunt hard and be willing to cover miles and miles on foot with the possibilty of spending the night out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.