Oregon archery hunter gored in neck, killed by wounded elk

Having hunted the Oregon coast-to me looking for a wounded animal would dictate a fairly powerful
firearm and some cool nerves even if it just an Elk. Elmer Kieth would have been killed
by an elk if he not had a 45 pistol and the ability to stay cool. There is a place for the bow
but looking for a wounded animal in the thick stuff is not one of them. No disrespect
for the esteemed bow hunters.

Wounded animals have a strong will to live. They are all dangerous when hurt and cornered. Recovering wounded game in heavy cover is complicated and things flash before you in an instant. I have recovered elk in similar conditions that my hunting partners have wounded. Each was a situation that could have gone bad for us. This was an unfortunate turn of events. I can't make an opinion on how it could have turned out. I wasn't there. However, my condolence to everyone involved it will impact their lives going forward. FOR the rest of us it's a lesson in reality. Caution and situational awareness is a very thin line.

Especially out here in the West. I don't know the regs in Oregon, but here in Washington, you cannot dispatch your wounded kill with anything other than a bow during archery season.
Same rules in Oregon.
Hunter was on private land, but in that area, once you leave pasture, the slopes are steep and the brush thick. I'll be there this weekend up the Kilchis River. In the coast range, I've seen elk plow uphill through blackberry brambles like it didn't exist and black tail leap over 8' huckleberry clusters (hedges, more like). All of them, in their element, define badarse. Add adrenaline, and it's a potent mix.
Also had a buddy, shot an arrow through the heart on a bull, and it still made it 75 yards before dropping.
Lotsa people will armchair. We weren't there, and he can't tell his tale. RIP

I've killed 33 animals with a bow. Many more with a gun. All had horns or antlers. Yet to be gored. I really hope that there is no need to repeat how to approach a downed animal 101 here.

Hope somebody gets "the rest of the story".

Those who hunt Elk with a bow know that the best shot is to "double lung" one. Elk have survived with a one lung hit.
I'm glad you schooled us novices on how to shoot an Elk with a Bow, Your bordering Legendary Status, I'm impressed

Deleted my comment. opinions from non-traditional bowhunters are just chatter.

Stay safe and carry a "big iron".
It has nothing to do with hunting with a bow or a rifle. It has to do with RESPECT of which you showed none. A family could have lost a father or a husband and your first thought was to be a smart ***. That is what i would call "chatter".
Glad it is deleted but should have never been made.

Last edited:
Stay safe and remember to be cautious around wounded game.

I was hunting just a few miles from where this happened that morning and going back this weekend. I didn't find any humor or reason to ridicule this hunter for what happened. Most likely he did everything right, just got caught in a bad situation. I feel for him and his family. We can all learn from this...even the "expert" hunters that never make mistakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.