Oregon archery hunter gored in neck, killed by wounded elk

That could happen to anyone, don't throw stones. We all get complacent at times

Especially out here in the West. I don't know the regs in Oregon, but here in Washington, you cannot dispatch your wounded kill with anything other than a bow during archery season. You can carry a self defense firearm, but you cannot dispatch an animal with it during archery season.

I've killed 33 animals with a bow. Many more with a gun. All had horns or antlers. Yet to be gored. I really hope that there is no need to repeat how to approach a downed animal 101 here.

Hope somebody gets "the rest of the story".

Those who hunt Elk with a bow know that the best shot is to "double lung" one. Elk have survived with a one lung hit.

I've killed 33 animals with a bow. Many more with a gun. All had horns or antlers. Yet to be gored. I really hope that there is no need to repeat how to approach a downed animal 101 here.

Those who hunt Elk with a bow know that the best shot is to "double lung" one. Elk have survived with a one lung hit.
If you have never been to that part of the country, then you probably don't understand how thick the vegetation is on those mountain sides. I can see easily how one could be confronted by a wounded animal and not have an opportunity to evade the attack. Enough said.

Basics... observe from a safe distance. Look for any movement/breathing, check eyes, if eyes are closed... shoot. Animals almost never die with their eyes closed.

If you have never been to that part of the country, then you probably don't understand how thick the vegetation is on those mountain sides. I can see easily how one could be confronted by a wounded animal and not have an opportunity to evade the attack. Enough said.

Very true, I hunted the coast of Washington for several years around Nemah River, unsuccessfully I might add. That stuff is thick, if you can see more than 20 yards you must be in a clear cut!

If you have never hunted the Oregon coast you have no appreciation for thick brush.
my only other thought-where was that Colt 45 when it was needed.

A Darwin award is in order.
I'm new to this forum/site. I do not have near the experience that most of you have shooting and hunting. But I do know that to make a comment like that about someone that lost their life is completely uncalled for. I don't know you so I am going to assume that you are a good person that just made a post trying to be funny. The same could be said for those that liked the post. None of us were there to see how the events played out but what does it hurt to show the man some respect. Not trying to start any arguments with anyone of make enemies.. Just my .02 worth...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.