ordering reamers

rscott5028

So, I ordered my first reamer 2 days ago from PTG along with the Grizzly Rod, bushings, etc...

I have to say they were really nice to speak with on the phone, but seemed very unorganized.

You can't order through the website. So, I called it in. They took my order and I asked when it might ship and they simply said they had no way to know. Apparently, the ordering folks can't tell if anything is in stock. When asked if they would notify me when it will ship, they said they couldn't promise that.

For someone that works in an industry where people quibble over seconds of downtime per year, this all seemed a little too non-challant for me.

Heck. I was even ordering plain vanilla 270 Winchester just to keep everything as simple as possible.

Do I need to worry? Or, is everything going to show up here in a few weeks?

Is there a better source to order reamers and bushings from?

I see that Midway sells PTG and at least they track inventory and the website tells you up front if something's in-stock. I would've gone that route except that they didn't have 270 Win in-stock with the interchangeable pilot. They also didn't have the rods, etc.

I wanted to complete the first rebarrel before getting too far ahead of myself. But, perhaps I need to order a few more items sooner rather than later?

Thanks!!

p.s. It was kind of a flashback to the good ole days when we'd stop by the blacksmith's shop when he was out to lunch and pick up whatever we needed and phone him later to let him know what we got. We'd eventually get a bill and it was always correct. ...the original self-checkout. Business was conducted on a handshake.

NO, worries!!! I've been ordering all my stuff from PT&G, the gals are always nice and I get my questions taken care of. All my orders come when they come, if in stock within a week and if not, like the 270 reamer bushing set, it takes a few weeks. Quality is excellent it seems.
I need to get another order in for another Griz rod and 338 bushing set!

Grizzly also stocks some PT&G reamers and gauges, I've used them a couple times also.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I went ahead and called again to order the 6.5-284 Norma Match reamer for the Kreiger 1:8 palma barrel that's been sitting by my desk for a year now and they had no record of my order. Apparently I had spoken with the new guy. Anyway, one of the gals got me fixed up and I have a little more confidence now.

Thanks!
Richard

I may try that next time.

It just seems odd for an industry that's all about precision, the websites, descriptions, ordering procedures, etc... are pretty sketchy.

Anyways... looks like the order is on its way now.

Thanks!!!

Why not just call Manson Precision Reamers and talk to Dara. Chances are she'll be the one who answers the phone and she has the answers to your questions!

I gave Manson a try a couple weeks ago and did not have a good experience, I think someone was having a bad day but not going to use them unless I'm ordering a specific item with a part #!

I've had the same kind of experience with PT&G as you had with Manson. Have problem with one of PT&G's products and called (politely, I might add) and was told "Dave" would call me back. That was three weeks a go. Not the first time I've had a problem with no responce from PT&G, but probably my last. Always been very happy with the sevice and tools I've got from Manson over the last 20 years or so.

That's unfortunate you had that experience with PT&G.

I called PT&G and asked to talk to Dave about a reamer print and freebore. The gal that answered said he would call me back. He called back less than 2hrs after I left the message. I was only expecting to get the answer to my question and the phone call to be over but I was pleasantly surprised when Dave answered many more of my questions and spent atleast 45min. on the phone with me.

So, I ordered my first reamer 2 days ago from PTG along with the Grizzly Rod, bushings, etc...

I have to say they were really nice to speak with on the phone, but seemed very unorganized.

You can't order through the website. So, I called it in. They took my order and I asked when it might ship and they simply said they had no way to know. Apparently, the ordering folks can't tell if anything is in stock. When asked if they would notify me when it will ship, they said they couldn't promise that.

For someone that works in an industry where people quibble over seconds of downtime per year, this all seemed a little too non-challant for me.

Heck. I was even ordering plain vanilla 270 Winchester just to keep everything as simple as possible.

Do I need to worry? Or, is everything going to show up here in a few weeks?

Is there a better source to order reamers and bushings from?

I see that Midway sells PTG and at least they track inventory and the website tells you up front if something's in-stock. I would've gone that route except that they didn't have 270 Win in-stock with the interchangeable pilot. They also didn't have the rods, etc.

I wanted to complete the first rebarrel before getting too far ahead of myself. But, perhaps I need to order a few more items sooner rather than later?

Thanks!!

p.s. It was kind of a flashback to the good ole days when we'd stop by the blacksmith's shop when he was out to lunch and pick up whatever we needed and phone him later to let him know what we got. We'd eventually get a bill and it was always correct. ...the original self-checkout. Business was conducted on a handshake.

I would be worried if you want to do your projects in the near future( 2 months)
I ordered a reamer and it was 4-5 weeks late. We sent another back they forgot to add a little lead in on and forgot to send it back( they didnt know who to send it to? As the original box had our name on it? and Dave him self told us 1 day turn around, took 3 weeks after many calls)
I have been getting very poor results from them lately. Takes longer and longer and no one ever calls you back like they said. I have no problem waiting if Im given an accurate date in the first place but an unrealistic one then wait 2-3 times as long no way.
I vowed this time I am not going to be a return customer. There are a lot of others that would be glad to take my money.
Congrats to them for being busy, time to hire some help

A couple months ago I ordered a reamer from them and was told it was in stock and would ship within a couple days. Two weeks later I called them to let them know that I hadn't received it, the gal was really nice and told me she would check on it and call me back. Three days later I called her back, she said she would check and call me back, which she did and she informed me that they were out of stock and didn't have any idea when they would have one. She was very nice, but I cancelled my order and called JGS, they were very helpful and quick.

Not the end of the world, but it did cost me about 3 weeks. I think I will do business with them again, but I will have them check on stock and will ask for a guaranteed ship date.

Colby

They were very nice when I called back today and said the reamers I needed were in stock, but not the bushings. I asked them to send what they have.

We shall see.

It's good to know there are alternatives.

thanks!
Richard

I got about the same feeling you got. I live within driving distance to them and Dave offered to stop by my shop to visit. I may drop in on him. We have to go near there for a Cerakote class soon. I just placed about a 1 to $2000 order with them and they couldn't even begin to get me a estimated date or really even an approximate price. They have to make up some of the stuff as it is only built to order. I guess if you got to ask you can't afford it. I live only 20 minutes from JGS but went with PT&G based on quality reputation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts