Options to get Started

So what all is required in the field and are you able to make a shot at an animal that surprises you and requires a quick (all be it humane) shot?

anyone in Pa that I could shoot one?

Snap shooting is definitely harder for me, than with a rifle. If you are talking about shooting at a running animal, I wouldn't even do that with a rifle.

ALOT to learn to be able to pull off long range shots with a pistol. Technique and practice are your best friends. Practicing in field positions becomes even more important. Best of all, because pistols are so unforgiving, they will make you a far better shot. If you dont already have one, you may wish to start with a contender or Encore. Use the money saved on the gun for ammo. Then if/when you move to a custom, it will compliment your shooting and you will greatly appreciate it. I've shot a few customs and they can be simply amazing. Others have given great suggestions on caliber. As a side note, anything with an external hammer will have a distinctly longer lock time.

I do not recommend the 6x45/6mm-223, the 6x47/6mm-222 Rem Mag, or the 6mm TCU/6mm 223 Rem Improved for killing deer at 500 yards. I have both the 6x45 and the 6x47 in center-grip XP-100's.
They are both fun to shoot and are great for varmints and will kill deer just fine, but not out to 500 yards.
I have have had fun killing prairie dogs beyond a 1/4 mile with those two XP's though!

Long way for you to come, but that is why we use planes...I have loaner specialty pistols, for folks that are not set-up. You will get a ton of shooting in, and you will know what you want or don't want after three days.
WY-SHOT 2020

Long way for you to come, but that is why we use planes...I have loaner specialty pistols, for folks that are not set-up. You will get a ton of shooting in, and you will know what you want or don't want after three days.
WY-SHOT 2020
Now that looks like a good time!

I don't really have anything new to add, but in the budget you gave I think an Encore with a 6.5x284 barrel would work pretty well. I'm another big fan of the 284 case in specialty pistols, it's a great balance between performance and recoil. I have a Striker in 284 that's been my primary target gun out to about 1200 yards for years. I'd consider it a solid 600 yard hunting gun on deer with a 168gr bullet.

If you can track down a good deal on a Savage Striker you would have a lot more options for chamberings while still staying under $1500. I've always been partial to the Striker over the XP-100 just because the Striker has a left hand bolt which works great for a right handed pistol shooter. Strikers are getting harder to find at reasonable prices though. I'm pretty intrigued by the new Nosler handguns and I've just been waiting for a chance to get my hands on one.

Hey guys I appreciate all the info and offers to help find stuff or sell used stuff. Here's where I am at.

Set my Ruger charger up with a rifle scope and see how I do and if I like it.

keep researching guns and seeing which ones I like (for instance Iprefer the left hand Bolt but like some features in some of the newer models).
i don't know if I can make it work (or if I can wait), but the event Ernie mentioned seems like a good place to try different models.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.