Options for an Action

Sneuses

Have pretty much figured out the components for a build. The issue I am running across is the available brass for a 7mm STW. Defiance Anti is going to be the long action with a .480 bolt face, coupled with a Proof research carbon fiber wrapped barrel. (Got corrected on bolt face size my bad not enough coffee yet) Not worried about 7mm bullets, powder or primers, got enough of all that one of few that can say that. Problem is brass or possibly going to a different caliber as of yet the barrel has not been purchased. All options and opinions appreciated.

Thank you
Steve

Last edited:
You have the wrong bolt face for a 7 stw. You need a mag bolt face not standard. If you already have the action you're going to have to choose a different cartridge with a standard bolt face.
Oops I specified wrong bolt face ordered for STW which should be .532 my bad. Just woke up and not enough Java yet. Question still remains what would you do?

It happens. I was just making sure you were good to go for what you want vs what you have. The 7stw sounds fun. Lots other 7mm options to run on the mag bolt if you can find brass for them easier.

It happens. I was just making sure you were good to go for what you want vs what you have. The 7stw sounds fun. Lots other 7mm options to run on the mag bolt if you can find brass for them easier.
I like the .284 bullet it flies really nice. Already have the Ackley and Remington Mag. Figured the STW would be the last. But with this day and age ammo or components or both first. I ordered ammo for the Ackley the same day I ordered my fierce. Kinda of hoping someone can point me towards brass that is in stock somewhere or willing to part with some.

28 Nosler gets the same performance as the STW and you can get ADG brass. Order enough for the life of the barrel when it's available and not have to worry.

Have pretty much figured out the components for a build. The issue I am running across is the available brass for a 7mm STW. Defiance Anti is going to be the long action with a .480 bolt face, coupled with a Proof research carbon fiber wrapped barrel. (Got corrected on bolt face size my bad not enough coffee yet) Not worried about 7mm bullets, powder or primers, got enough of all that one of few that can say that. Problem is brass or possibly going to a different caliber as of yet the barrel has not been purchased. All options and opinions appreciated.

Thank you
Steve
"I" think your choice of action and barrel is excellent. I just placed an Anti-X on order for my next build. Make sure you order your barrel with the twist that will stabilize the bullets you will use. "If" headstamp is not an issue for you, you can always use 8MM RM, .375H&H, etc., Also, Peterson Belted Mag Wildcat Tubes. Good luck!

I lucked out and purchased 200 pieces of 7STW Remington brass the same week I re-chambered the barrel, started as a 7RM.
They actually had 500 pieces in stock in 100 count bags, paid $165AUD per 100, which is cheap here in Australia.
Didn't want to be greedy and watched as those 300 went down to zero in only a few weeks. Should've bought more, but 200 will last the life of the barrel anyway.
If I was not able to get 7STW brass, I would search for 8RM brass, if no joy there, I would get 375H&H brass and run it through the STW die and fireform. I do this for 375 Weatherby, 340 and 300. One note doing this on 2.850" brass, it WILL shrink in neck length. This poses no issue for function, but will alter COL.

Cheers.

7STW was not easy to find instock even before this stupid supply chain stuff happened. It was unavailable in 2018 and finally resurfaced in 2019 from Nosler but we had to buy 10,000 pieces to complete the order. No love lost for Nosler.

However, 28 Nosler is available through a few different manufacturers; Peterson, ADG, Hornady... I would look for the 28 Nosler before I'd commit to a 7STW anytime. But if you insist, Graf & Sons has the Basic Brass Belted Tubes available so you can neck it down into any flavor you choose:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/88972

This is for 50 pieces but I suggest getting the 250 pieces and be happy without all the stress.

I necked down the .300 Norma Mag. to be 7mm and have no desire to change now at all. The difference is the rim diameter is bigger like the .338 Lapua rim.

Enjoy!

As awesome as the 7STW is, had one from inception for years, the 28Nosler is more better, in many ways! 28 Nosler can be finicky at times, like all large charge magnums, but the one and only issue that I'v ever had was, Nosler brass?! It's just not up to the task, too soft. I have experience with Peterson, tough, performs as advertised and the primer pockets hold up. The Hornady is actually pretty decent also, only issue with the new 100 pcs I had was, they weren't properly annealed, easy fix, re-anneal them., good to go.

The 7STW did everything I wanted, as a big game cartridge, until the barrel throat wore out, then they rifle was rebarreled to the then new 28 Nosler.

Like the previous post, 7STW cases were an adventure to find and make at times.

As awesome as the 7STW is, had one from inception for years, the 28Nosler is more better, in many ways! 28 Nosler can be finicky at times, like all large charge magnums, but the one and only issue that I'v ever had was, Nosler brass?! It's just not up to the task, too soft. I have experience with Peterson, tough, performs as advertised and the primer pockets hold up. The Hornady is actually pretty decent also, only issue with the new 100 pcs I had was, they weren't properly annealed, easy fix, re-anneal them., good to go.

The 7STW did everything I wanted, as a big game cartridge, until the barrel throat wore out, then they rifle was rebarreled to the then new 28 Nosler.

Like the previous post, 7STW cases were an adventure to find and make at times.
Now my head is turning in a couple other directions. 7 SAUM and the 6.5 PRC. The action has jingles down but have yet to ship, basically back ordered. These people also have the Proof research barrels that are prefit for the PRC, needless to say the have a medium action Ruckus in stock????? That 6.5 is looking real good. Any opinions????

Just for fun, here's my cerosafe chamber cast, I did of my 7STW in 2017, after over 1200 rounds. I didn't exactly "baby it" most of the time, on the 1000yd high power range! It has a free bore that would make a Weatherby Fan Boi jealous 🤣 You can see the firecraking also.

1637965348046.jpeg

7STW was not easy to find instock even before this stupid supply chain stuff happened. It was unavailable in 2018 and finally resurfaced in 2019 from Nosler but we had to buy 10,000 pieces to complete the order. No love lost for Nosler.

However, 28 Nosler is available through a few different manufacturers; Peterson, ADG, Hornady... I would look for the 28 Nosler before I'd commit to a 7STW anytime. But if you insist, Graf & Sons has the Basic Brass Belted Tubes available so you can neck it down into any flavor you choose:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/88972

This is for 50 pieces but I suggest getting the 250 pieces and be happy without all the stress.

I necked down the .300 Norma Mag. to be 7mm and have no desire to change now at all. The difference is the rim diameter is bigger like the .338 Lapua rim.

Enjoy!
Have you tried to size down, Basic Brass Tube belted cases? To what every belted caliber. I have gotten a few hundred of them. I am thinking you would have to size down in at least a few steps to achieve the caliber you wanted. Now I wrote Redding about larger bushing for a belted mag sizing die. Including a picture of the case. That the last I have heard from them. I see they only built to 338 WM dies, and nothing bigger in sizing dies for belted Mag cases. My thinking that case would have to be stepped down to the caliber wanted.
Now I have done my fair share resizing cases from one caliber to another, and not had any problem in doing so. I shoot 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Normal Mag, and 338 WM rifles. Those case are interchangeable by resizing use other cases. I do have away to have a bushing built.